Stuffed Zucchini is the recipe you will need with the coming season. Finally we left the freezing days behind and we will be having freshest tomatoes, herbs, green beans, peppers and zucchinis of the year. Zucchini has become one of our favorite summer veggies after yeas of blogging and trying lots of recipes.
This is the first time I’ve made stuffed zucchini this year, so I decided to update this post which was written in the first year of Give Recipe using the new photos.
This stuffed zucchini with ground meat and rice is in our top ten list of our kitchen. As I wrote before, zucchini is not our favorite vegetable and we always look for some different recipes for it. However, this stuffed one is an exception. This is one of the most common traditional Turkish dishes and we adore it so much that I often make it. I should have put it here before, but we were so impatient to wait for taking a photo when I made it. I made it at night this time not to eat it before the photos as we take photos during day.Print
Zucchinis stuffed with a spicy mixture of rice and ground beef.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 4 middle sized zucchinis
- 1 tomato
- 2 onions, diced
- ¼ cup rice
- 150g ground meat
- 2 tbsp tomato paste or pepper paste (1 for filling, 1 for sauce)
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- A few leaves of dill, minced
- A few leaves of fresh mint, minced
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- Black pepper
- Wash the zucchinis and cut them into two. Then grab a small spoon and scoop out their pulp. The walls of zucchinis shouldn’t be too thick or too thin (about ¼ inch). Sprinkle a pinch of salt inside each of them.
- For the filling; Mix diced onions, rice, ground meat, 1 tbsp tomato paste, lemon juice, minced dill and fresh mint, 3 tbsp olive oil, 2 tsp salt and black pepper in a bowl.
- Stuff the zucchinis with this mixture, but be careful, it shouldn’t be too tight because when rice and ground meat cook, they’ll get bigger. You can gently press on the filling while stuffing the zucchinis. Place each stuffed zucchini upright in a large pot.
- Slice the tomato and put a slice on each stuffed zucchini to cover the filling mixture.
- Dilute 1 tbsp tomato paste with water and pour it into the pot. Then pour some water (shouldn’t cover the zucchini, leave it when the water reaches the middle of zucchinis). Cover the lid on the pot, put it over the lowest heat and cook it for about 40 minutes.
- You can serve it with some yogurt and garnish with dill leaves.
Keywords: stuffed zucchini, stuffed zucchini recipe