These fried zucchini chips are truly one of the best healthy snacks out there! Crunchy on the outside and creamy on the center, these zucchini chips are so addictive! This is a recipe that everyone will love – even your kids!
Why We Like This Recipe
- Our son loves it! Usually, especially with zucchini, kids are picky when it comes to vegetables. But they will love these breaded zucchini chips.
- These are nice and crispy.
- They are a fantastic healthy alternative to regular potato fries!
- They can be served as delicious game-day treats, a light appetizer, or a lunchtime snack.
- You can make a healthier version by baking them instead of frying them, like our baked zucchini sticks.
About The Ingredients
This is an incredibly easy and straightforward fried zucchini recipe. The breading is very simple and allows you to put your own twist on it.
Instead of cornmeal, you can definitely use all-purpose flour (or cake flour), although cornmeal does help make these fried zucchini chips much crispier. And if you love using cornmeal in your cooking, check out our pumpkin cornbread muffins, mashed potato pancake recipe and hot water Turkish cornbread too.
You can also add additional spices and flavorings to either the cornmeal or the breadcrumbs. Our personal favorites include paprika, oregano, garlic powder, and some chili powder for a spicier chip.
And, then of course we have a creamy fried zucchini dipping sauce that only consists of yogurt, salt, and garlic. Mix these together and you will have a tangy sauce that compliments the natural flavors of the zucchini perfectly!
How to Make
We make this fried zucchini with cornmeal to create extraordinarily crispy and all-around delicious chips. They have an incredibly simplistic flavor that pairs well with our yogurt dipping sauce and you can easily add tons of other flavors to make it your own.
Fist, prepare the zucchini chips. Slice the zucchini in thin circles about ½ inch (1cm) thick. Set them aside.
Next, place cornmeal into one bowl and combine the salt and breadcrumbs in another bowl. Beat the eggs together and add them into another separate bowl. Dip each slice in the cornmeal, then the beaten eggs, and lastly in the breadcrumb mixture.
Then, fry the zucchini chips. Before you start dipping the slices, preheat the pan over medium heat with a touch of olive oil. As you finish dipping each slice, add it into the hot pan in a single layer – do not overcrowd the pan.
Fry each slice for 2 minutes per side. Transfer them on a paper towel to remove the excess oil and season with a touch of salt and parsley.
Now, make the dipping sauce and serve. For the dipping sauce, combine all of the ingredients and whisk them together well. Serve the fried zucchini chips alongside this delicious yogurt dipping sauce.
- Do not make the zucchini slices thicker than ½ inch. The pieces are much too thick to become nice and crispy while also cooking all the way through.
- When crumbing any type of food, make sure that the entire piece is properly coated with cornmeal, egg, and breadcrumbs. If they aren’t you won’t have beautifully crispy chips.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, you can completely leave out the breadcrumbs. Simply dip each slice into cornmeal, the egg mixture, and then cornmeal again.
- You can season these zucchini chips by adding some additional spices to the cornmeal. Some of our favorite flavorings to use include paprika, oregano, and even finely grated cheese like parmesan!
- Rather coat all of the zucchini slices before you start frying them, especially when trying this recipe and technique for the first time. It can become a bit too much to keep track of when doing all of the steps at the same time.
- Always work in batches when cooking food. Do not overcrowd the pan as this will make some pieces cook better and crispier compared to others. Place the slices in a single layer. You can keep adding olive oil before frying the next batch.
- Add some salt to the zucchini chips as you place them on the paper towel while they are still hot. The salt adheres better and creates a much better savory snack.
- If you want, you can even serve these chips by sandwiching yogurt in between two of them.
We would highly recommend using either buttermilk or heavy cream as it adds a similar creamy texture.
For this recipe, there is no need to salt the zucchini slices before coating them with cornmeal, eggs, and breadcrumbs.
Salting zucchini is usually done to help remove excess moisture before they are cooked, however, for this recipe the breading helps add both salt and crispiness.
You can definitely bake these crispy zucchini chips instead of frying them. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). This will help make them super crispy and bake evenly. Just again make sure to place the slices in a single layer.
These breaded zucchini chips are best served immediately and while still hot. As with virtually any type of fried food, as soon as it cools it loses that incredible crispy texture.
More Zucchini Recipes
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!Print
Fried Zucchini Chips
Golden fried zucchini chips served with a garlicy yogurt sauce. Enjoy these as a snack or side dish!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Snack
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
2 medium sized zucchini (1 pound/500g)
½ cup cornmeal
1 cup breadcrumbs
½ teaspoon salt
Oil for frying (4-5 tablespoons)
Parsley for garnish
½ cup plain yogurt
¼ teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, mashed
Slice zucchini in thin circles, about ½ inch (1cm).
Put cornmeal in a bowl.
Whisk together salt and breadcrumbs in another bowl.
Beat the eggs in another bowl.
Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
Coat the zucchini slices first with cornmeal, then dip them in beaten eggs and then coat with breadcrumbs.
Place them in the hot pan in a single layer. Don’t overcrowd the pan.
Fry them until both sides are golden, about 2 minutes per side.
Transfer them on a paper towel.
Sprinkle a little more salt and parsley.
Whisk yogurt, salt and mashed garlic in a bowl well.
Serve the fried zucchini chips with this yogurt sauce on the side.
- Make sure zucchini slices are not thicker than ½ inch. They won’t be crispy if they are too thick.
Make sure zucchini slices are well coated with the cornmeal, eggs and breadcrumbs.
If you want it gluten free, leave the breadcrumbs out. Coat the zucchini slices first with cornmeal, then dip into eggs and then coat with cornmeal again.
If you want you can add some spices like paprika, oregano and even some parmesan cheese in the cornmeal.
It is better to complete all the steps with all the zucchini before you warm the oil to start frying.
Fry them in batches. Never overcrowd the pan. Put the zucchini slices in a single layer.
Add olive oil for each batch if needed.
Add a little salt after transferring the fried zucchini slices on a paper towel when they are still hot.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 359
- Sugar: 3.4 g
- Sodium: 974.2 mg
- Fat: 19.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 33.9 g
- Protein: 11.9 g
- Cholesterol: 97.6 mg
Keywords: zucchini chips, fried zucchini chips