The Air Fryer Frozen Okra is a quick, easy, and healthy dish that transforms frozen okra into a delightfully crispy snack or side dish. Seasoned with a mix of garlic powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, and salt, then lightly coated in olive oil, the okra is air-fried until it is crispy.
Struggling to find fresh okra? No problem! Let's learn how to cook okra frozen in this post! Our air fried frozen okra recipe is a convenient and tasty solution.
If you happen to come across fresh okra, we have a recipe for that too! Simply check out our Air-Fried Okra Recipe.
This frozen fried okra in air fryer is an excellent option for those who can't find fresh okra. These are a little crunchy and it's versatile enough to serve as a stand-alone snack or as a complement to your main course.
If you want a real crunch though, check out our okra chips!
Why You Will Like This Recipe
You'll love this frozen okra recipe in air fryer because:
- It's the easiest way of cooking frozen okra. Just add spices and cook in an air fryer. That's it!
- The okra gets really crispy, like a perfect snack or side dish.
- It uses frozen okra, which you can keep on hand any time.
- It's healthier than deep frying but just as tasty.
- It is gluten-free and vegan as we use frozen okra without breading.
Types of Frozen Okra
Freezing okra is really easy. If you find yourself with an abundance of okra, don't let it go to waste. Frozen okra is a handy ingredient to have on hand when fresh okra isn't available or is out of season.
Here are some types you can find at the grocery store:
- Whole Okra: These are whole pods of okra that have been frozen. They are great for dishes that require whole pieces of okra. This is the type we use to cook in the air fryer, but it is great in stews like bamya.
- Sliced Okra: This is a type of frozen okra sliced into rounds. We often use it to make roasted okra or air fried okra. It is also great in the dishes like bhindi masala or okra gumbo, where you want the okra to blend in with other ingredients.
- Breaded Okra: This okra has been sliced, coated with eggs and breadcrumbs, panko or flour and cornmeal mixture, and then frozen. It's usually pre-seasoned and ready to cook.
All of these types of frozen okra can be used in this air fryer recipe. The main thing to keep in mind is the cooking time may vary slightly. Whole okra might take a bit longer, while sliced or breaded okra might cook quicker.
Always check the okra during cooking to ensure it's done to your liking. Enjoy the versatility of this recipe with your preferred type of frozen okra!
About The Ingredients & Substitutes
In this air fry frozen okra recipe, we're using non-breaded frozen okra. This includes both whole and sliced okra. As mentioned, breaded okra can also be used - just remember to skip the added spices as breaded okra usually comes pre-seasoned.
We've chosen olive oil for this recipe due to flavor. It helps the okra achieve a crispy texture without adding unhealthy fats. If you prefer, other oils such as avocado oil or canola oil could also be used. These oils have high smoke points, making them suitable for air frying. You can even use a cooking oil spray if you have it on hand.
Our recipe includes a blend of garlic powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, and salt. This combination gives a robust and slightly spicy flavor to the okra.
Feel free to experiment with your own spice blends! For instance, you could try adding some onion powder, black pepper, or even a dash of cayenne pepper for extra heat.
If you're using breaded okra that's already seasoned, you won't need additional spices.
How To Make It
Now that we know about the ingredients, let's learn how to cook frozen okra in the air fryer:
Preheat the Air Fryer
Start by preheating your air fryer to 400°F (200°C). Preheating helps the okra cook evenly and become crispy. This usually takes about 5 minutes depending on your air fryer model.
Prepare the Okra
While your air fryer is warming up, get your frozen okra ready. There's no need to thaw it first; you can use it straight from the freezer. This is part of what makes this recipe so convenient.
Place the frozen okra in a large bowl. Drizzle the olive oil over them, gently tossing the okra pieces until they're all coated with the oil. This not only adds a hint of flavor, but it also ensures that the spices stick well to the okra, and helps to achieve that desired crispy texture.
Season the Okra
Next, you'll want to season the okra. Sprinkle the garlic powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, and salt over the okra. Gently toss the okra to make sure each piece is coated with the seasoning. If you're using pre-seasoned or breaded okra, skip this step.
Air Fry the Frozen Okra
Now, it's time to air fry. Transfer the okra to the air fryer basket, spreading them out in a single layer. Cook them in batches if your air fryer basket is not big enough. Air fry the okra for about 12-15 minutes. To ensure all sides of the okra get crispy, shake the basket halfway through the cooking time.
Check for Doneness
After about 12-15 minutes, your okra should be golden brown and slightly crispy. If you prefer it crispier, you can add an extra 2-3 minutes of cooking time, but be sure to watch closely to avoid burning.
Finally, carefully remove the fried okra from the air fryer and serve. Whether as a snack or a side dish, this air fryer frozen okra is best enjoyed immediately while it's still warm and crispy.
Air frying frozen okra is simple, but we've got some suggestions to ensure you get great results every time:
- No Need to Thaw: One of the great things about using frozen okra is that you can cook it directly from frozen.
- Ensure Even Cooking: When placing the okra in the air fryer, make sure to spread it out in a single layer. If the okra is piled on top of each other, it won't cook evenly. Cook it in batches if needed.
- Shake the Basket: Halfway through the cooking time, give the air fryer basket a good shake.
- Adjust Cooking Time as Needed: Depending on the size and type of your frozen okra (whole, sliced, or breaded as mentioned above), the cooking time may vary slightly. Start checking a few minutes before the suggested time to ensure it doesn't overcook.
Storing & Reheating
If you end up with leftovers, you can easily store them for future snacking. Here's how:
Once the okra has cooled completely, place it in an airtight container or a resealable bag. Stored properly, it will last in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
When you're ready to enjoy your stored okra, reheat it in the air fryer for the best results. Preheat your air fryer to 350°F (175°C). Then, spread the okra in a single layer in the air fryer basket and heat for about 3-5 minutes, or until it's heated through and crispy again. Be sure to keep an eye on it to avoid overcooking.
Using a microwave for reheating is not recommended as it tends to make the okra soggy.
Air fry frozen okra is a versatile accompaniment to various meals. Here are the dishes you might consider pairing it with:
You can also serve it as an appetizer. Pair it with a dip sauce like our artichoke dip sauce, ranch dressing or even a BBQ sauce.
No, there's no need to thaw frozen okra before air frying. You can cook it straight from the freezer, making it a convenient and quick option for meals and snacks.
Yes, you can use breaded frozen okra. If it's already seasoned, you can skip the step of adding spices and just drizzle it with oil before air frying.
If your okra isn't getting crispy, it could be due to overcrowding in the air fryer. Make sure to spread the okra in a single layer, and cook in batches if needed. Also, ensure that the okra is well-coated with oil as it aids in achieving the crispiness.
Yes, most frozen vegetables can be cooked in the air fryer using a similar method. Just be mindful that cooking times can vary depending on the type of vegetable and its size.
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!
Air Fryer Frozen Okra
Enjoy a crunchy, flavorful side dish or snack with this Air Fryer Frozen Okra recipe. With minimal prep and an easy cooking process, you'll have a crispy, healthier alternative to traditionally fried okra in no time. Perfect to pair with your favorite meals or to snack on its own!
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 17 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Air Frying
- Cuisine: American
- 16 ounces / 450 grams frozen okra (not breaded)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for about 5 minutes.
- While the air fryer is preheating, place your frozen okra in a large bowl.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the okra, ensuring to distribute it evenly. You can do this by either gently tossing the okra with a spoon or using your hands.
- Now, sprinkle the garlic powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, and salt directly over the okra. Gently toss until all the okra pieces are evenly coated with the olive oil and spices.
- Transfer the seasoned okra to the air fryer basket, arranging them in a single layer so they cook evenly. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook in batches.
- Cook the okra in the preheated air fryer for about 12-15 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through the cooking time to ensure all sides of the okra are crisped.
- After 12-15 minutes, check the okra for doneness. They should be slightly crispy and golden brown. If they're not done to your liking, you can cook them for an additional 2-3 minutes, but watch closely to prevent burning.
- No need to thaw, cook the okra directly from frozen.
- Ensure okra is in a single layer for even cooking. Cook in batches if needed.
- A mid-cook shake of the basket helps achieve an all-round crunch.
- Remember to check your air fryer's specific instructions or manual, as cooking times and temperatures may vary slightly between different models.
- Check a few minutes early to avoid overcooking.
- You can make air fryer frozen breaded okra following these instructions as well. The breaded version typically comes pre-seasoned, so if you're using breaded okra, you can omit the additional spices mentioned in this recipe.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 276
- Sugar: 13.9 g
- Sodium: 1180 mg
- Fat: 15.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.1 g
- Fiber: 11.3 g
- Protein: 8.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: air fryer frozen okra
You might also like: