If you are a fan of chicken wings, you have to try these CRISPY air fryer wings with baking powder. Super easy to make with just 4 ingredients. They are extra crispy on the outside while the flesh remains flavorful and juicy!
Chicken wings are one of our favorite recipes to make in air fryer. They make a quick dinner for us at least once a week.
Why do we like them this much? Air fried wings are waaay better than deep fried wings. For one thing, they don't require any oil. Secondly, your kitchen doesn't get messy. Another great thing is that the wings don't have any flour coating.
And we also think these crispy air fryer chicken wings are healthier as they are keto friendly and low in calories. Finally, you have the crispiest wings with a juicy center.
So today, we want to show you how to make baking powder chicken wings in air fryer. They will become your favorite too. And we will continue sharing more air fryer recipes, so stay tuned!
And if you don't have an air fryer, don't worry! You can still make crispy chicken wings with baking powder in the oven! We love both versions.
Baking Powder On Air Fryer Wings
Have you tried the baking powder chicken hack yet? This is one of the best tricks to make air fryer crispy chicken wings. If you haven't tried it yet, prepare for your life to change!
Do we still need it when making air-fried chicken wings?
Air frying method already gives you a crispy result as the hot air spreads around the wings during the cooking process. But baking powder makes the wings extra crispy.
That happens because it increases the pH level in the wings and helps absorb the excess moisture (the part that prevents crispiness in food). That's why this is the best air fryer chicken wings recipe.
Don't confuse baking powder with baking soda. Baking powder is a combination of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), cream of tartar and cornstarch.
Make sure the brand you use is aluminum-free. Otherwise it will give a bitter taste.
About The Ingredients
Chicken wings: We use drumettes and wingettes/flats. Learn how to cut up a chicken wing if you can only find whole wings.
Baking powder: This is the secret ingredient to get that extra crispy skin on wings.
Seasoning: We use salt and paprika. You can also use our homemade dry chicken rub.
Optional spices: Black pepper, garlic powder chili powder or cayenne pepper would be great flavors to add. Also you can add lemon pepper and turn these into lemon pepper wings. Or make your own dry rub with your favorite spices.
How Long To Cook Wings In The Air Fryer?
We cook them for 20 minutes in total at 400 F / 200 C degrees. You need to flip the wings after 15 minutes and then bake them for another 5 minutes. Check them at the end of this time and if you want them even crispier, bake them for another 3-5 minutes.
If you want, you can measure the temperature. The internal temperature of air fried chicken wings should be 165ºF (74ºC). But it is really not necessary as the wings cook completely when you cook them at this temperature for this amount of time.
How To Make Extra Crispy Air Fryer Wings
If you have never tried a fried chicken wings recipe using airfryer, keep reading. You will have the crispiest wings if you follow the step-by-step instructions we are sharing below.
- Pat the chicken wings dry: Don't skip this step. You still need to dry them with some paper towels even if you cook them in air fryer. Make sure they are completely dried, so use several paper towels.
- Season the wings: Place the wings on a plate. Sprinkle salt, paprika, and baking powder on both sides of the wings. Rub the seasoning on well so the wings are coated on all sides.
- Prepare the air fryer: Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray or cooking spray. Or brush it with a little bit of oil. Then, preheat the air fryer to 400ºF (200ºC) for 5 minutes.
- Place the wings in a single layer on the rack: If you overlap them, they will bake unevenly and won't get crispy. You may need to do a couple of batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Air fry the wings: Let the chicken wings cook for roughly 20 minutes. After 15 minutes, turn the wings over and leave them to continue cooking.
- Check and cook the wings for extra minutes if needed: Once all of the time has elapsed, check the crispiness of the wings. If you want extra crispy wings, leave them in the air fryer for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve: Enjoy your air fryer crispy chicken wings immediately!
Cooking Frozen Chicken Wings In Air Fryer
We have two options:
- Thaw frozen chicken wings overnight: Put the wings in the fridge overnight and follow the recipe below after they are thawed.
- Defrost the wings in the air fryer: Put the frozen wings in air fryer. Let them cook at 400 F for 10 minutes. Remove the air fryer basket, put the wings in a large bowl. Drain the liquid in the basket. Season the defrosted wings with spices and baking powder. Put them back in the air fryer and cook for an additional 12 minutes.
- Make sure that the wings are completely dry before adding the baking powder and spices. This way you are guaranteed to get extra crispy air fryer wings!
- Don't over-season the wings, especially if you want to add a sauce to them afterwards! You can use ⅓-1/2 teaspoon of fine salt for every pound of chicken wings you are making. Remember, most of their weight is bone, so they don't follow the normal meat-to-salt ratio.
- The key to making baking powder chicken wings in an air fryer is to lightly coat them in baking powder. We want to see a thin white layer over the wings. And make sure they are covered on all sides!
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer. Doing this makes the wings bake unevenly and prevents them from becoming extra crispy. Rather work in multiple batches and keep the cooked wings warm in a low-temp oven.
- You can measure the internal temperature of the wings at the end of the cooking time with a meat thermometer if you want to be sure that they are cooked. You should see 165 degrees F.
These crispy air fryer wings are insanely delicious as they are. But if you prefer combining the wings with your favorite sauce, go ahead and do so. Toss them in a hot sauce, this simple buffalo sauce, honey BBQ sauce or in garlic parmesan sauce.
If you can't think of appetizers without dips, you can pair these air fried wings with blue cheese dressing or homemade ranch dressing. They are both great dipping sauces that go very well with chicken.
Don't forget carrot and celery sticks! They are great fiber additions on appetizer plates. Alternatively, make a large bowl of healthy Greek yogurt coleslaw and serve it on the side.
You can only store the wings once they have been fried. But keep in mind, the moisture from the fridge or freezer will cause the wings to lose their crispiness. You will need to re-crisp them in the air-fryer when you are ready to serve them again.
To store them inside the fridge, place them in an airtight container. They will be fine for a day or two.
You can also freeze them in an airtight container (covered with foil) for roughly a month. Anything longer than that, and the texture and flavor of the baking powder air fryer wings will become bland.
How To Reheat Them
You can reheat the air fried wings again in your air fryer at 350 F for 5 minutes.
Yes, you can! Baking powder is a great ingredient to make crispy chicken wings no matter you make them in air fryer or in the oven.
In this recipe, we use baking powder and we are quite happy with the result. It gives a nice crispy texture. This article claims that cornstarch works even better. So you can test it yourself and make your own preference.
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!
Air Fryer Chicken Wings Baking Powder
Extra crispy air fryer chicken wings are easy to make thanks to the secret ingredient, baking powder.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Snack
- Method: Air Frying
- Cuisine: American
- 2 lbs (900 g) chicken wings (drumettes and wingettes separated)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (NOT baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon paprika, optional
- Dry each chicken wing well with some paper towels. Place the dried ones on a large plate.
- Sprinkle salt, paprika and baking powder on each dried chicken wing. Rub each so that the seasoning coats all sides of the wings.
- Spray the cooking rack of the air fryer with oil if it is not non-stick.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 F / 200 C for 5 minutes.
- Place the wings in a single layer on the rack. Don’t overlap. You might need to make it in batches. We cook ours in 2 batches.
- Place the basket in the air fryer. Set the time to 20 minutes. Press start.
- After 15 minutes, remove the basket, flip the wings over and put it back. Continue cooking.
- When the time is over, check the crispiness of the wings and cook for another 5 minutes if you want them extra crispy.
- Make sure that the wings are completely dry before adding the baking powder and spices.
- Don't over-season the wings, especially if you want to add a sauce to them afterwards!
- It is enough when the wings are lightly coated with baking powder.
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer.
- You can measure the internal temperature of the wings. It must be 165 F degrees.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 435
- Sugar: 0.1 g
- Sodium: 773.9 mg
- Fat: 29 g
- Carbohydrates: 2 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 39.5 g
- Cholesterol: 249.8 mg
Keywords: air fryer chicken wings baking powder, air fryer crispy chicken wings