Coleslaw without Mayo is the perfect combination of some humble dairy-free and vegan ingredients. Colorful, crunchy, tangy and a great crowd pleaser when served alongside main dishes or in sandwiches and tacos.
This is the final recipe of our No-Mayo Salad Recipe Series that we started a month ago. Pasta Salad without Mayo has been your favorite so far. Guess what? It’s our son’s favorite as well. In fact, I was inspired by his way of eating pasta when creating this recipe. It’s for sure that kids sometimes know better than we do. We just need to learn how to see things in their way. I know you will love this Coleslaw without Mayo recipe as much, so please keep reading.
This is a bright and refreshing coleslaw that can be taken outdoors even in warm temperatures because it has no mayonnaise. Believe it or not, we make this salad almost everyday. For one thing, it’s the easiest salad on earth. It’s ready in 5 easy steps and in less than 10 minutes. Shred cabbages in a large bowl. Combine with salt, black pepper and lemon juice. Massage them well. Add in grated carrot and olive oil. Toss. See how easy it is? Taste it and make any adjustments needed.
Secondly, we always have some leftovers because I do it on purpose so that we have a bowl of salad ready for the next day. This coleslaw without mayo tastes even better when chilled overnight, so it is a perfect make-ahead salad. Isn’t it great that you can store it several days in the refrigerator? You can use it in numerous ways in the next days. Serve it at breakfast like we do (yes we LOVE it at breakfast too!), pair it with Bulgur Wheat Pilaf, prepare quick sandwiches or top it with some leftover roasted chicken for a quick lunch.
About This Coleslaw without Mayo Recipe
- To make the tastiest coleslaw, I always massage the shredded cabbage with salt and lemon juice. The acid they release together helps the cabbage absorb the nice tangy flavor of lemon better. It almost gives you the feeling of pickled cabbage if you add a little vinegar and mashed garlic in this step.
- Make sure you toss it well again before serving if you make it ahead. The juice that makes the salad so tasty will be at the bottom of the bowl, so it’s necessary to help it re-combine with the salad.
- I love to use whatever seeds I have on hand in this salad. Sometimes I use a combination of sesame seeds, flax seeds and sunflower seeds, which I believe make the salad even healthier.
Other Cabbage Recipes
- Lazy Mom's Cabbage Rolls
- Healthy Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- Recipe For Cabbage Stew
- Pickled Cabbage Recipe Quick
- Purple Cabbage Salad With Chicken
Coleslaw without Mayo
A light and tasty coleslaw recipe without mayonnaise. Tastes even better when made ahead.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Combinin
- Cuisine: American
- 4 cups white cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 cups purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 and ½ tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds, optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large serving bowl, put sliced white and purple cabbages, salt, ground pepper and lemon juice. Massage them well.
- Add in grated carrot, flax seeds and olive oil. Toss.
- Serve immediately or store covered in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Keywords: coleslaw without mayo