Feta Cheese Sandwich with herbs, avocado and pickled red onions is so flavourful that it can satisfy both vegetarians and meat lovers.
Whenever I need a light, quick and tasty lunch, I think of a feta cheese sandwich. The other ingredients depend on what I have on hand. I sometimes go simple and just add avocado as the second ingredient in my sandwich or sometimes make it in the Mediterranean way and use tomatoes and cucumbers.
My feta cheese sandwich is much richer this time. I use a generous amount of ripe avocado as the spread on the bread and load it with cucumbers, thick feta cheese slices, lots of herbs and finally pickled red onions -my favourite ingredient in this sandwich. With that amazing tangy flavour, pickled red onions make a wonderful twist. This sandwich would be just one of those classic cheese sandwich recipes without these pink beauties.
I love making sandwiches because you can combine any food between two slices of bread and create the tastiest thing ever. Plus, it’s easy to make sandwiches.
I used four types of fresh herbs in this feta cheese sandwich: Arugula, mint, green onions and purslane leaves. Use any type of herbs you have on hand. You can never go wrong with fresh herbs.
I can proudly say that this Feta Cheese Sandwich is the best vegetarian sandwich I’ve made so far. Thanks to pickled onions, you feel like you’re eating it at your favourite fast food restaurant. No worries, I’m sharing the recipe for pickled onions below as a bonus.
If you don’t want another step when making your sandwich, you can use the onions as they are, but I promise it is worth waiting for a few extra minutes to have that addictive taste.
About this Feta Cheese Sandwich Recipe:
You don’t have to use pink onions to pickle, white onions are fine too. I just think pink ones give the sandwich a fancier look. You can keep pickled onions in a jar in the refrigerator up to a week and use it in your next sandwiches or salads.
Make sure you add a few drops of lemon on mashed avocado so that it keeps its colour.
Yields 3 sandwiches
Simple Feta Cheese Sandwich with herbs, avocado, cucumber and pickled onions.
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 1 cup boiling water
- ¾ cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- A pinch of salt
- 2 slices bread
- 2 thick slices of feta cheese
- A few thin slices of cucumber
- Several slices of pickled red onions
- A handful of herbs (arugula, mint and purslane), rinsed and dried well
- In a medium-sized bowl, pour boiling water over onion slices and let them sit for about 5 minutes. Transfer them into very cold water and drain.
- In a medium-sized jar, combine vinegar, sugar and salt. Mix well. Add in onion slices and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- You can refrigerate it up to 1 week.
- Mash the avocado using a fork. Add in lemon juice, salt and chopped green onions, stir well.
- Spread a slice of bread with a thick layer of avocado spread. Top with pickled red onions, 2 thick slices of feta cheese, a few slices of cucumber and a handful of herbs. Put the other slice of bread and press down gently. Repeat for other bread slices.
- Serve it with extra pickled red onions.