These Baked Buffalo Wings are very crispy thanks to a secret ingredient. You'll no longer want to fry them. Enjoy them coated with a luscious hot sauce and lick your fingers!
So what is a Buffalo Wing? As stated on Wikipedia, these wings got their name from the very popular restaurant in Buffalo New York called Anchor Bar. Ever since their invention in 1964, these spicy wings have only become more popular.
What makes our buffalo chicken wings recipe so great is its wonderful flavors. We've decided to include a variety of fragrant spices in the coating before dousing it in a luscious chili sauce. This is the best wing recipe you will come across and is perfect for any occasion, especially game days!
You have some vegetarian guests for the party? Make Baked Cauliflower “Chicken Wings” for them! They will definitely ask for more!
Today, we will discuss all things spicy wings including all the ingredients, how to make this buffalo chicken wing recipe, how they can be served, and we will also answer a bunch of very frequently asked questions.
What Are The Ingredients?
The most important ingredient in this hot wings recipe is the chicken. Each wing is cut into 2 sections; the drumette (which is the piece that is attached to the body of the chicken), and the wingette (which is the middle part of the whole wing). When looking at a wing, locate the two joints. Using a sharp knife, cut through the meat and cartilage at each joint, ultimately making 2 sections.
Note: Sometimes you can see chicken wings with three sections: wingette, drumette and tip. For this recipe, the wings are already without the tips. But if you are using wings with tips, cut them out and don’t use them for this recipe. Keep them aside for another use, maybe when making a chicken stock.
Our secret ingredient to get extra crispy wings is by using baking powder! Traditional recipes only use baking powder and salt, but we included some additional spices to add even more flavor and to hide the taste of baking powder. These spices are a beautiful balance of salt, chili powder, garlic powder, and a curry powder of your choice. You can even add black pepper and thyme too if you are after even more flavors.
What Is Buffalo Wing Sauce?
A classic Buffalo wing sauce is made by combining a chili sauce, butter and vinegar. However, we’ve made a few adjustments to this classic sauce. Our recipe only consists of chili sauce, honey, and soy sauce.
We left out the butter to reduce the calories and because the wings are already fatty. Then, we added some soy sauce for a salty-sweet flavor, but adding it is totally optional.
The most popular hot sauce on buffalo wings is Frank’s Hot Sauce, but we are not very strict on this. You can choose any hot sauce that you like to make the buffalo sauce. You can even make your own chili sauce at home and use it in this recipe.
Should Buffalo Wings Be Fried Or Baked?
Traditionally, buffalo wings are deep-fried to achieve a very crispy outside and deliciously tender inside. However, baked buffalo wings have become more popular over the past years, especially because it requires a lot less work compared to frying them.
Our recipe contains a bunch of delicious spices that are best preserved when baked. The addition of baking powder helps achieve the crispiness inside the oven, so you won’t even miss fried wings.
How To Bake Buffalo Wings
First, prepare the chicken. Pat dry the chicken wings with a paper towel. Work hard on this to make them as dry as possible.
Second, combine the spices. In a large mixing bowl, combine the baking powder, salt, garlic powder, chili powder, and curry powder well.
Third, coat the wings and add the oil. Add the chicken wings into the dry mixture and coat each piece evenly. Then, add the olive oil to the mixture and stir. Cover the wings and rest. Leaving the wings in the bowl, cover it with plastic and allow them to marinate in the refrigerator for half an hour.
Fourth, bake the wings. While your wings are resting, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking tray with non-stick parchment paper. Place the wings on the baking tray in a single layer. Bake them for 30 minutes. Remove them from the oven, flip each piece, and bake them for another 10 minutes.
Finally, make the sauce. While your wings are baking, now is the time to make your sauce. Simply combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan and mix well. Before serving the wings, toss them into the sauce to fully coat. And garnish them with chopped parsley.
How To Serve These Spicy Wings
Because these wings have a bit of a bite to them, a super simple yogurt-mint dressing or a ranch sauce will balance out the flavors nicely.
Some fresh carrot and celery sticks will also compliment the wings and is an easy addition to the game-day platter.
Alternatively, you can choose a wide variety of sides to fit your occasion. A classic side would be some crispy potato or sweet potato fries or onion rings.
You can also choose a more elaborate side like macaroni and cheese, coleslaw, or some fried jalapeno poppers. Also check out Side Dishes For Chicken Wings. We would also highly recommend serving these wings with an ice-cold glass of beer!
FAQs About Crispy Baked Wings
Should you flip wings in the oven? As we’ve mentioned in our method, the wings should be flipped after 30 minutes of baking. This allows the other side of the wing to also bake and become crispy. If you don’t flip them, one side will be soft and soggy.
How long to bake chicken wings? Wings take about 30-50 minutes to bake depending on their size. If you have larger wings, follow our times for the best results. If you have smaller wings, it is best to bake them for a slightly shorter amount of time to prevent them from burning.
How do you keep wings crispy after sauce? To keep wings crispy for as long as possible, you have to follow our steps exactly – no short-cuts! Once you’ve baked the wings for 30 minutes, flip them and bake the other side another 10 minutes or so. You MUST add the sauce while the wings are still hot.
Can I reheat the wings? You can definitely reheat the wings, but only if you’ve stored them without the sauce. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and place the wings on a lined baking tray. Bake them for about 5-10 minutes. You can then coat those in the sauce and eat immediately. Remember, you cannot reheat food more than once, especially chicken!
Can I make these in advance? To make these baked buffalo wings ahead of time, you can partially bake them for 30 minutes. Follow the steps exactly as the recipe states, but after the initial 30 minutes have elapsed, remove them from the oven. Once you're ready to eat them, bake them for about 10 minutes on each side to ensure they are crispy all around. Then cover them with sauce and serve immediately.
What goes good with crispy buffalo wings? There are hundreds of sides for baked buffalo wings. We would highly recommend choosing an accompaniment that will balance the spiciness of the wings. These include any dairy-based side like a yogurt dipping sauce, macaroni, and cheese, or even just camembert slices.
Other Chicken Appetizers
- Sesame Honey Chicken Wings
- Sticky Chicken Wings Oven
- Fried Chicken Taco
- Cast Iron Wings
- Curry Chicken Salad Keto, served in lettuce leaves
- Oven Baked Chicken Skewers
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Lemon Garlic Chicken Recipe
- Baked Chicken Pieces
- Baked Chicken and Vegetables In The Oven
- Chicken Wings Dinner
- How To Cook Chicken Kabobs In The Oven
- Baked Chicken Legs
- Chicken Fillet Recipe
- Easy Chicken Chili
- How To Cook Chicken With Tomato Sauce
Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings
Crispy buffalo wings in oven.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 and ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- ½ tablespoon curry powder, optional
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
For the Hot Sauce:
- ½ cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
Baked Chicken Wings:
- Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towel.
- In a large bowl, combine baking powder, salt, garlic powder, chili powder and curry powder (if you're using) until blended and whisk to combine well.
- Add the chicken wings into this mixture and coat each evenly with the mixture.
- Pour olive oil over them and stir.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place chicken wings on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. After this time, remove them from oven, turn them over and bake for another 10 minutes.
For the sauce:
- Just mix all the sauce ingredients and pour it over the newly baked chicken wings. Serve immediately.
- How long to bake chicken wings? Wings take about 30-50 minutes to bake depending on their size. If you have larger wings, follow our times for the best results. If you have smaller wings, it is best to bake them for a slightly shorter amount of time to prevent them from burning.
- To keep wings crispy for as long as possible, you have to follow our steps exactly – no short-cuts! Once you’ve baked the wings for 30 minutes, flip them and bake the other side another 10 minutes or so. You MUST add the sauce while the wings are still hot.
- Can I reheat the wings? You can definitely reheat the wings, but only if you’ve stored them without the sauce. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and place the wings on a lined baking tray. Bake them for about 5-10 minutes. You can then coat those in the sauce and eat immediately. Remember, you cannot reheat food more than once, especially chicken!
Keywords: crispy wings in oven, crispy buffalo wings, baked buffalo wings