These Baked Buffalo Wings with baking powder are wonderfully crispy and tasty. Enjoy them coated with a luscious hot sauce and lick your fingers!
What makes our buffalo chicken wings recipe so great is its wonderful flavors. We've decided to include a variety of fragrant spices in the coating before dousing it in a luscious chili sauce. This is the best wing recipe with baking powder you will come across and is perfect for any occasion, especially game days!
Today, we will discuss all things spicy wings with baking powder including all the ingredients, how to make this buffalo chicken wing recipe, how they can be served, and we will also answer a bunch of very frequently asked questions.
How to Cut Chicken Wings
Chicken Wings are cut into 2 sections:
- Drumette, the piece that is attached to the body of the chicken.
- Wingette, the middle part of the whole wing.
When looking at a wing, locate the two joints. Using a sharp knife, cut through the meat and cartilage at each joint, ultimately making 2 sections.
Note: Sometimes you can see chicken wings with three sections: wingette, drumette and tip. For this recipe, the wings are already without the tips. But if you are using wings with tips, cut them out and don’t use them for this recipe. Keep them aside for another use, maybe when making a chicken stock.
About The Ingredients
We use two sets of ingredients here: For the chicken wings and for the hot sauce.
For The Chicken Wings
- Chicken wings: If you buy whole chicken wings, cut them into sections of drumette and wingette as explained above.
- Baking powder: We use baking powder to get crispy buffalo wings without frying. Baking powder helps the skin of chicken wings dry out and then get crispy and nicely brown. Don't use baking soda instead. They are NOT the same thing. If you use that much baking soda, you feel an undesired metallic taste on the chicken wings. A good substitute for baking powder in this recipe could be cornstarch.
- Spices: We include some additional spices to add even more flavor. These spices are a beautiful balance of salt, chili powder, garlic powder, and a curry powder. You can even add black pepper and thyme too if you are after even more flavors.
For The Buffalo Wing Hot Sauce
- Red hot chili sauce: Use your favorite store-bought hot sauce. The most popular hot sauce on buffalo wings is Frank’s Hot Sauce, but we are not very strict on this. You can choose any hot sauce that you like to make the buffalo sauce.
- Honey: It complements the spicy and hot flavors wonderfully with its sweetness. You can use another sweetener like molasses, maple syrup or brown sugar.
- Butter: 1-2 tablespoons melted butter gives the sauce a nice flavor and smoothness. If you want to reduce the calories, you can leave it out. The sauce still tastes so good.
Fried Or Baked?
Traditionally, buffalo wings are deep-fried to achieve a very crispy outside and deliciously tender inside. However, baked buffalo wings have become more popular over the past years, especially because it requires a lot less work compared to frying them.
Our recipe contains a bunch of delicious spices that are best preserved when baked. The addition of baking powder helps achieve the crispiness inside the oven, so you won’t even miss fried wings.
How To Bake
First, prepare the chicken. Pat dry the chicken wings with a paper towel. Work hard on this to make them as dry as possible.
Second, combine the spices. In a large mixing bowl, combine the baking powder, salt, garlic powder, chili powder, and curry powder well.
Third, coat the wings. Add the chicken wings into the dry mixture and coat each piece evenly. Then, add just a teaspoon of olive oil over them and stir. Cover the wings and rest. Leaving the wings in the bowl, cover it with plastic and allow them to marinate in the refrigerator for half an hour.
Fourth, bake the wings. While your wings are resting, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking tray with non-stick parchment paper. Place the wings on the baking tray in a single layer. Bake them for 30 minutes.
Remove them from the oven, flip each piece, and bake them for another 10 minutes.
Finally, make the sauce. While your wings are baking, now is the time to make your sauce. Simply combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan and mix well. Before serving the wings, toss them into the sauce to fully coat. And garnish them with chopped parsley.
- Wings take about 30-50 minutes to bake depending on their size. If you have larger wings, follow our times for the best results. If you have smaller wings, it is best to bake them for a slightly shorter amount of time to prevent them from burning.
- To Reheat: Store them without the sauce if you are planning to reheat them. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and place the wings on a lined baking tray. Bake them for about 5-10 minutes. You can then coat those in the sauce and eat immediately. Remember, you cannot reheat food more than once, especially chicken!
- To make these baked buffalo wings ahead of time, you can partially bake them for 30 minutes. Follow the steps exactly as the recipe states, but after the initial 30 minutes have elapsed, remove them from the oven. Once you're ready to eat them, bake them for about 10 minutes on each side to ensure they are crispy all around. Then cover them with sauce and serve immediately.
How To Serve
What goes good with crispy buffalo wings? There are hundreds of sides for baked buffalo wings. You can serve these with blue cheese dip, ranch dressing, macaroni salad, creamy cucumber salad or even just camembert slices.
Some fresh carrot and celery sticks will also compliment the wings and is an easy addition to the game-day platter.
You can also choose a more elaborate sides like coleslaw, or some stuffed jalapeno peppers. Also check out Side Dishes For Chicken Wings. We would also highly recommend serving these wings with an ice-cold glass of beer!
As we’ve mentioned in our method, the wings should be flipped after 30 minutes of baking. This allows the other side of the wing to also bake and become crispy. If you don’t flip them, one side will be soft and soggy.
To keep wings crispy for as long as possible, you have to follow our steps exactly – no short-cuts! Once you’ve baked the wings for 30 minutes, flip them and bake the other side another 10 minutes or so. You MUST add the sauce while the wings are still hot.
Baking powder helps the skin on chicken wings dry out. Thus they get crispy when baked.
No, we don't recommend baking soda in this recipe. If you use that much baking soda, you will feel the bitter taste of it on the wings.
Yes, you can. Cornstarch gives a similar crispy effect on chicken wings.
More Game Day Recipes
- Easy Spicy Popcorn
- Spicy Chickpea Chips
- Crispy Fried Oyster Mushrooms
- Red Lentil Hummus Dip
- Deviled Eggs No Mayo
More Chicken Recipes
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!
Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings with Baking Powder
Chicken wings are coated with spices and baking powder and baked in the oven. Then they are coated well with hot sauce and served.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 and ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- ½ tablespoon curry powder, optional
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
For the Hot Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- ½ cup chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Chopped parsley
Baked Chicken Wings:
- Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towel.
- In a large bowl, combine baking powder, salt, garlic powder, chili powder and curry powder (if you're using) until blended and whisk to combine well.
- Add the chicken wings into this mixture and coat each evenly with the mixture.
- Drizzle olive oil over them and stir.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place chicken wings on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. After this time, remove them from oven, turn them over and bake for another 10 minutes.
For the sauce:
- In a saucepan, melt butter, add in hot sauce and honey. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Put the chicken wings in a large bowl. Pour the sauce over them and toss to coat.
- Garnish with chopped parsley if you want.
- How long to bake chicken wings? Wings take about 30-50 minutes to bake depending on their size. If you have larger wings, follow our times for the best results. If you have smaller wings, it is best to bake them for a slightly shorter amount of time to prevent them from burning.
- To keep wings crispy for as long as possible, you have to follow our steps exactly – no short-cuts! Once you’ve baked the wings for 30 minutes, flip them and bake the other side another 10 minutes or so. You MUST add the sauce while the wings are still hot.
- Can I reheat the wings? You can definitely reheat the wings, but only if you’ve stored them without the sauce. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and place the wings on a lined baking tray. Bake them for about 5-10 minutes. You can then coat those in the sauce and eat immediately. Remember, you cannot reheat food more than once, especially chicken!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 656
- Sugar: 6.1 g
- Sodium: 1444.7 mg
- Fat: 20 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.6 g
- Protein: 100.9 g
- Cholesterol: 258.5 mg
Keywords: crispy wings in oven, crispy buffalo wings, baked buffalo wings