Looking for something to make your breakfast table look really attractive? Make these Mayo-Free Deviled Eggs and get ready for compliments! These simple deviled eggs are guiltless, creamy with Greek yogurt and slightly tangy with lime and mustard. Perfectness in the morning!
I know deviled eggs are mostly considered as Easter food, but it would be unfair to make these only for one occasion. Don’t you think they make super picnic food? I’m sure everyone will be really happy to have them at potlucks. We love them at breakfast too. Not only in the morning. I mean they are great when we have breakfast for dinner during weeknights. Super easy to prepare, super tasty and nutritious. I love creating healthy recipes with eggs like my Egg and Avocado Toast or Scrambled Eggs with Avocado. So these mayo-free deviled eggs are healthy too.
The classic recipe for deviled eggs mostly call for mayonnaise, but I wanted to make a healthier version so that we could eat as many as we wanted. Deviled eggs with Greek yogurt are a great alternative to that classic recipe. To add a little more flavor to these creamy mayo-free deviled eggs, I added a little lime juice and mustard. They give a good tanginess to the eggs, not too much.
As for the spices, I just used cumin in the filling and chili powder for the garnish on the top. I didn’t want my mayo-free deviled eggs too spicy because I wanted to feel that basic creaminess rather than spices.
I saw recipes that use chopped onion in the filling, but I didn’t want to deform the creaminess, so I preferred to serve onions along with the eggs. Make sure you squeeze lime juice on them too. Also, it’s great to serve some green chili peppers on the side. You can even top the eggs with some chopped peppers too. Some very fresh arugula or other herbs complete the serving wonderfully.
I’m sorry this recipe is not for you if you are looking for deviled eggs with mayo, but believe me these are equally tasty and you can never know whether you love them unless you try. And believe me you will never want to use mayonnaise again once you taste these mayo-free deviled eggs.
Mayo-Free Deviled Eggs. Creamy with Greek yogurt, slightly tangy with lime and mustard.
10 minPrep Time
4 minCook Time
14 minTotal Time
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2-3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- Chili powder and green chili peppers for garnish
- Red onion and arugula for serving with the eggs, optional
- Place eggs in a medium size pan, cover with water. Bring to boil. Simmer for 4 minutes and remove from heat. Let the eggs sit in the pan for 4-5 minutes and then rinse with cold water.
- Peel eggs and halve each lengthwise.
- Scoop the yolks in a medium size mixing bowl. Be careful not to damage the egg whites at this step.
- Add in olive oil, salt, cumin, lime juice, mustard and Greek yogurt. Mix with a fork until creamy.
- Scoop back into the egg whites. Garnish with chili powder and chopped green chili pepper.
- Serve with red onion and arugula or another herb you like.