Turkish Egg Dish Menemen is an amazingly tasty breakfast, lunch and dinner recipe. Simple, quick and oh so yummy!
Turkish menemen is such a fantastic egg dish that you want to have it in all three meals. It is a simple one-pan dish with eggs, tomatoes and green peppers. It is optional to add onion too. What makes this breakfast dish so special is the simplicity behind it. You always have the ingredients above, don’t you? You can easily make a classic menemen recipe with these. I have a few additions to this classic recipe though. As I learnt from mom, I always add garlic along with the tomatoes and garnish it with some herbs right before serving. I love the freshness they give to the dish.
Although Turkish Menemen is traditionally considered as a breakfast food, people in Turkey make it whenever they need a quick lunch or dinner. You might have heard about world-famous Turkish breakfast, which consists of several appetizer-like foods. Yes we do eat cucumber and olives in the morning. Breakfast is a way of socializing in Turkish culture. We love to organize breakfast occasions at the weekend. So a healthy green smoothie or cereals can never be a breakfast food on its own for a Turkish family. Besides lots of tasty savory and sweet appetizers, we always have a version of egg. Maybe I can share a classic Turkish omelette recipe next time.
Ingredients are simple, but quality is a must for a tasty menemen. Especially the tomatoes you use are very important, they need to be fragrant enough otherwise you will probably end up with a tasteless scrambled eggs and tomatoes dish. So menemen is also considered as spring or summer dish as tomatoes have a better smell and flavor then. If you are lucky to have preserved summer tomatoes though, you can make it whenever you crave for.
For a classic Turkish menemen, you can either break the eggs right into the pan or beat the eggs first and then pour over the simmering tomato sauce. I love both versions, but I prefer leaving the eggs whole in the pan when we are crowded. It’s easier to serve this way; one or two eggs for each person.
How would you enjoy such a scrumptious egg dish? We love to dip our bread right into the pan!
And the best treat to serve afterwards is Turkish coffee for sure. If you aren’t familiar with this unique coffee, I highly recommend you to check the post How to make Turkish Coffee out on Foolproof Living, read its story and see the amazing step by step pictures. Then go find a Turkish Market now and give this very special coffee a try too!Print
Turkish Egg Dish Menemen
Classic one-pan Turkish egg dish with tomatoes and green peppers.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 3
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 3 green peppers, chopped
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes or canned tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced (optional)
- 3 green onions, 2 for cooking and 1 for the garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 free-range eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Mint leaves for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a pan, preferably an iron cast. Add in chopped onion and green peppers, saute until tender.
- Add in tomatoes, garlic and green onions, let it simmer for 10-15 minutes stirring frequently until it thickens. Sprinkle salt over it.
- Using a spoon make rooms for each egg and break eggs into those hollows. Let it simmer uncovered until the eggs are slightly cooked for 8-10 minutes. Help egg whites cook well with a spoon. If you like the yolks hard, cook longer.
- Sprinkle ground black pepper over it.
- Garnish with chopped green onion and mint leaves. Serve in the pan.