Looking for a unique recipe with simple ingredients for a perfect brunch? Try this amazing Turkish Eggs Recipe known as Cilbir! Poached eggs topped on a mixture of yogurt and herbs, then drizzled with hot spiced butter. You will become addicted to this easy combination of great flavors.
Cilbir is one of the most popular egg recipes in Turkish cuisine. When you have eggs and yogurt in your kitchen, you have to try it. Other Turkish egg recipes you will LOVE are menemen and eggs with spinach.
What Are Turkish Poached Eggs
Cilbir (pronounced chil-bir) is just one of the egg recipes in Turkish cuisine. The most common one in the country is menemen, which is very similar to world-famous shakshuka. It easily turns a breakfast into a festive like meal. Although Turkish eggs recipe aka cilbir is not as popular as menemen, it is a classic and everyone has a childhood memory about it. Cilbir is one of those super quick recipes that moms make when they don’t have enough time to make a complicated lunch or dinner for their family. Oh and they also make it when they don’t have many things in the fridge because you can always find the ingredients of cilbir in a typical Turkish kitchen.
Cilbir Turkish Eggs Ingredients
- Greek yogurt homemade or regular plain yogurt (thinner)
- Herbs like fresh dill, mint or parsley
- Olive oil
- Red pepper flakes
I know the combination of all these sounds weird to most of you. If you know the right way to get them together, you will be addicted. Trust me and give this recipe a try!
It is basically poached eggs placed on greek yogurt and then drizzled with a melted butter sauce with red pepper flakes. Greek yogurt and butter sauce can make any dish taste so good. Right? I think as Turkish people we have a weakness against garlicky yogurt and spicy butter sauce. Remember Turkish manti dumplings? We serve them with these two sauces too. YUM!
We serve it with some chopped herbs to balance the flavors.
How To Make Turkish Eggs Recipe With Yogurt
Although the recipe is ridiculously easy, it’s important to know one important tip: Bring the eggs and greek yogurt to room temperature.
The recipe has three parts:
First, prepare the yogurt mixture. Whisk yogurt, salt and mashed garlic well until creamy. Fold in chopped herbs (I used mint and parsley) and put it aside. Garlic is something traditional in this recipe, but you can leave it out if you don’t like its taste or smell.
Second, poach eggs in the right way (read how below) and take them on a piece of paper towel.
Third, heat butter and olive oil in a sauce pan, add in red pepper flakes and cook over low heat just until the pepper flakes give their color to the sauce, about 30 seconds. Be careful, don’t burn the butter. The sauce must be ready within a minute.
Finally, when serving, put some greek yogurt mixture in a bowl, place the poached eggs (two per person), drizzle them with the butter sauce and sprinkle chopped herbs.
Serve immediately. This is not a recipe that you can make ahead of time.
How To Poach Eggs
Bring a pot of water to boil. Let it simmer and add in vinegar.
Crack one egg in a bowl. Circle the water with a spoon to make a swirl and slowly slide the egg into it. Cook it for 3-4 minutes for a runny yolk, 6 minutes for a more cooked yolk, but runny yolk is way better in this recipe.
Gently transfer it on paper towel using a slotted spoon and repeat with the other egg. I find it easier when I poach one egg at a time.
Never add salt when poaching eggs so that the whites keep their shape.
You can remove the unwanted parts of egg whites after you put them on paper towel.
How To Eat Turkish Style Eggs
Turkish eggs are best when you eat them with some toasted bread. Toast a few slices of sourdough bread or a baguette when poaching eggs. Don’t let them get too crunchy though. You want your bread to absorb some egg and yogurt when you dip it into the dish.
Another option when eating Turkish eggs: Chop the toasted bread and put them in a bowl. Pour yogurt mixture over them. Place poached eggs over it, drizzle with butter sauce, sprinkle the herbs and serve.
More Egg Recipes
- Deviled Eggs No Mayo
- Healthy Egg Salad Sandwich
- Deviled Eggs With Hummus
- Old Fashioned Egg Salad
- Vegetarian Omelette Muffins
More Turkish Recipes
If you make this Turkish Eggs Cilbir Recipe, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below to share your thoughts!Print
Turkish Eggs Cilbir
Super easy Turkish eggs on greek yogurt make a wonderful lunch or dinner.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 4
- Total Time: 9 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Turkish
Herbed Yogurt Mixture:
- 1 cup greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Sea salt, to taste
Herbed Yogurt Mixture:
- Whisk greek yogurt with garlic and salt until creamy. Fold in the chopped herbs.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Let it simmer and add in vinegar.
- Crack one egg in a bowl. Circle the water with a spoon to make a swirl and slowly slide the egg into it. Cook it for 3-4 minutes for a runny yolk, 6 minutes for a more cooked yolk, but runny yolk is way better in this recipe.
- Gently transfer it on paper towel using a slotted spoon and repeat with the other egg. I find it easier when I poach one egg at a time.
- Never add salt when poaching eggs so that the whites keep their shape.
- You can remove the unwanted parts of egg whites after you put them on paper towel.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a sauce pan, add in red pepper flakes and cook over low heat just until the pepper flakes give their color to the sauce, about 30 seconds. Be careful, don’t burn the butter. The sauce must be ready within a minute.
- To serve Turkish eggs, put some herbed yogurt in a bowl.
- Top it with two poached eggs.
- Drizzle them with the butter sauce.
- Sprinkle sea salt and chopped herbs over them and serve immediately with toasted bread slices.
Keywords: turkish eggs, turkish eggs recipe