Potato Phyllo Pie is not only easy and simple but it is also tasty and filling. Forget about traditional pies, this savory and flavorsome potato pie makes a perfect potluck food too.
Potato Phyllo Pie is just another type of Turkish borek. It is one of my favorite Turkish recipes and one of the most common pastries served to guests here. I generally make borek at the weekend as a preparation for week days. As I leave for work early in the morning, borek becomes my best breakfast. You know how much I love breakfast. During weekdays, I don’t have enough time for a big breakfast though. If we have prepared borek in the refrigerator, I just heat them in oven or in a pan on the stove. The best quick breakfast for me!
Moreover, if I have something different for breakfast, I put a few potato phyllo pie squares in my lunch bag and take it to work. It becomes a perfect lunch accompanied by a glass of ayran as borek is also eaten cold. When I take some for lunch, I always take more than I can eat because I love sharing lunch with my colleagues.
Potato Phyllo Pie
Potato Phyllo Pie is easy to make yet it is one of the yummiest savory pies.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Category: pastry
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 5 phyllo sheets
To stick these phyllo sheets
- • 1 cup yogurt
- • ¼ cup olive oil
- • 1 egg
For its filling
- • 5 middle potatoes
- • 1 big onion
- • 1tbsp pepper or tomato paste
- • 1tsp cumin
- • 1tbsp black pepper
- • 1tbsp salt
- • ½ grated yellow cheese
- • nigella sativa
- Boil the potatoes in a pot full of water until they get very soft. You can check them with a fork, insert it in one of the potatoes, if it’s soft enough, that’s ok. Then peel the potatoes and chop them in small pieces. Put it aside.
- Chop the onion and saute it until golden. Add tomato/pepper paste into it and stir. Put the boiled and chopped potatoes into it, sprinkle salt and other spices and saute all of them for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. Take it from heat and let it cool.
- Lay another sheet on potatoes and spread yogurt mixture again. Now put the rest of the potatoes and sprinkle grated yellow cheese on it. Lay the last two sheets on them spreading yogurt mixture between them. Finally spread all the mixture on top of it to have a well cooked borek. Cut it into squares. And sprinkle some nigella sativa on it. Cook it for about 40 minutes.
- Now we’ll prepare the mixture to stick the phyllo sheets. Mix yogurt, oil and egg until well combined. This mixture prevents the borek from splitting off.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (356F).
- Lay one of the phyllo sheets on an oven tray. Then spread the yogurt mixture on it with a brush. If the sheet is too big for the tray, you can tear it into two pieces and then lay it on the tray. It doesn’t need to be perfect in shape. Then lay another sheet on this one. Spread some yogurt mixture again. Now put some filling mixture (not much as you’ll put the rest soon).
- Serving Size: 20 squares