Celery Root Stew is a perfect vegetarian recipe to enjoy with the whole family. Hearty, comforting and so yummy!
Many people find the scent of celery nasty, but it gives me such a great appetite that I am easily tempted by fresh celery at market. I’ve shared two recipes of celery root before: Celeriac With Quince and Celery Root Salad. These are already my favorite celery root recipes, but I’m always open to new recipes to use this healthy vegetable.
Today I will share a celery root stew recipe I learnt from a friend at college. It was the first time I ate celery root and I was impressed with its flavor. This stew is both healthy and flavorful with the ingredients. Celery root and apple match very well with their taste and textures in this stew.
Celery Root Stew
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 2 celery root, sliced
- 1 green apple, sliced
- 1 carrot, cut in cubes
- 1 onion, sliced in halfmoons
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp flour
- ½ lemon, squeezed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Fresh dill, chopped
- Heat olive oil and saute onion and carrot. Add celery root and apple, stir.
- Pour water and bring to boil.
- Whisk egg yolk, lemon juice and flour in a bowl.
- Dissolve this mixture with a few ladles of boiling water of the stew mixing very quickly.
- Pour it little by little to the stew.
- Slice the squeezed lemon into four and toss it into the stew.
- Add salt and stir. Take it from stove. Add chopped fresh dill.
- Serve hot with pilaf and yogurt.