No time for yeasting dough? Don’t worry! These Quick Dinner Rolls have no yeast. They have 3 secret ingredients that make them cotton soft. Ready in 30 minutes!
This post was originally published in 2014 and we are updating it today with a video(right before the recipe box below), a new photo(below) and some additional information.
This is one of the easiest bread recipes on our blog and I think that’s why it has become one of the most tried recipes as well. Easy, simple, quick and quite satisfying, these no yeast quick dinner rolls are worth trying. We all love short cuts, right? This recipe is a great example for doing things in a shorter way because it doesn’t call for waiting until it rises thanks to baking powder, yogurt and olive oil.
This No Yeast Quick Dinner Rolls recipe will be the ultimate dinner rolls in your home. Who can resist newly baked soft and fluffy dinner rolls? I’m sure spreading a little butter on one of them when it is still hot can easily take you to heaven. There is no yeast in the dough, so you don’t need to wait it to rise. This really reduces the time of making the rolls. They are ready in about 30 minutes, so you can make these simple soft dinner rolls right before the dinner and help the whole family to feel in heaven.
I got the recipe from a colleague at a potluck party and adapted it to my taste. She stuffed the rolls with cheese, which is something traditional in Turkey and they were amazing! I felt like I was eating the best dinner rolls in my life just at first bite. My favorite rolls recipe until this one was Fluffy Pogaca, which has yeast and mineral water inside. I still love that but this one is way quicker.
When I asked the recipe with a big curiosity, my friend said that it is really easy. She said that the recipe even has a special name. It is called 3-2-1 rolls because the ingredients include 3 packages baking powder, 2 cups yogurt and 1 cup olive oil. She didn’t give the amount of flour, she said I just need to add it gradually until I have a non-sticky dough. Don’t worry, I measured both the flour and baking powder for you.
So one of the secrets of these Quick Dinner Rolls is that there is no water in the dough. Yogurt and olive oil are the only wet ingredients in the dough and they make the rolls super soft. The other thing that makes these rolls super magical is the baking powder in the recipe to substitute yeast. I used 5 teaspoons baking powder in the dough. I hadn’t used that much baking powder in a dough before, but believe me it’s not too much for these rolls.
I used a little whole wheat flour in the dough to have a nice color and to make the rolls more filling. However, it’s optional; just skip it if you like white looking breads.
I’ll be baking these Quick Dinner Rolls quite often. They are to die for especially right after they are removed from oven. These are perfect with soups like this heartwarming Creamy Chicken Orzo Soup or at breakfast. Great for lunch boxes too.
About This No Yeast Quick Dinner Rolls Recipe:
- I used only white flour when updating the recipe with a video and it turned out even softer than the one with a combination of white flour and whole wheat flour.
- Try not to use much flour. Although the rolls turn out fine with the measurements in the recipe, add the flour gradually until everything holds together. Even the brand of flour you use might cause different results, so you might need to experiment to find the right amount. It’s okay if it’s a bit sticky. Use a little oil (olive oil in my recipe but you can use whatever oil you like) to wet your hands and make small balls from the dough.
- I use olive oil in this recipe because I like it, but you can use whatever oil you like if you don’t like olive oil. You can even use melted butter.
- As some readers suggest in the comments below, it might be a good idea to add herbs and garlic in the dough.
- These rolls are great on the day they are baked. I love them cold too on the next days but if you are after soft rolls, I suggest you to reheat them in the oven or microwave so that they get as soft as they are on the first day.
More dinner rolls I’d love to try:
Sweet Potato Dinner Rolls on The Piquey Eater
Sweet Potato Rolls on Olivia’s Cuisine
Knotted Dinner Rolls on Blissfully Delicious
Gluten Free Hawaiian Bread Rolls on Recreating HappinessPrint
No Yeast Quick Dinner Rolls
Very soft and fluffy dinner rolls without yeast. Secret ingredients are yogurt, olive oil and baking powder.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 30-40 rolls
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 cup olive oil or another oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar, optional
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 370F (190C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put aside.
- Mix baking powder, yogurt, olive oil, salt and sugar in a large bowl well.
- Whisk all purpose flour and whole wheat flour and gradually add the flour into the wet mixture and mix with your hand or with a stand mixer until you have a non-sticky dough.
- Shape the dough into balls and place them on the parchment paper.
- Beat the yolk well and coat the top of dough balls with it using a brush.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 122
- Sugar: 0.8g
- Sodium: 167.9mg
- Fat: 6.1g
- Carbohydrates: 14.5g
- Protein: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 5.2mg