Salty Spicy Popcorn is one of the ultimate crowd-pleasing snacks you have to try. Making popcorn is not rocket science, but if you’ve never tried it yourself, you might end up with some burned corn kernels. So if you don’t have a device for it, you should do things right to have well popped corns.
There are various methods of making stovetop popcorn and I’d love to share mine. I put the corn kernels, oil and salt into the pot at the same time, before putting the pot over the heat. Make sure you put the kernels in a single layer. Then I put the pot with its lid on over medium high heat and wait until I hear popping sounds. It takes less than a minute.Remove the pan from heat and gently shake back and forth. Put it back on the heat and keep the lid slightly ajar. Repeat this two more times so that all the kernels are done. Remove the pan from heat when you hear rare sounds of popping, but don’t remove the lid. Wait for about a minute until you hear no sound.
We love popcorn especially at our movie nights and love to create new recipes with it. This Salty Spicy Popcorn came out of hubby’s love of chili powder.
I hate when my popcorn doesn’t have enough salt. That’s why I call this one salty. Salt is a must when making popcorn. And you can add as many spices or toppings as you like to create your favorite popcorn. This one is spiced with chili powder and cumin, so it tastes like spicy chips.
This Salty Spicy Popcorn makes a wonderful Super Bowl snack. So make a change on your regular Super Bowl treats and try this super easy popcorn. It goes perfect with cold beer, so make sure you have enough of these. Just sayin’.
If you are planning to have your friends for dinner on the game day, you can definitely please them with Simple Roasted Chicken, which is not the quickest but the easiest chicken recipe. Then you can continue the night with this Salty Spicy Popcorn. Our all time favorite spicy snack to pair with cold beer is Spicy Crispy Roasted Chickpeas but it takes a bit of time. So when we want to be quicker, we always go with popcorn, trying different additions each time. This spicy one tastes like those addictive store bought chips, so it is a winner for sure!Print
Salty Spicy Popcorn
Homemade stovetop popcorn seasoned with chili powder and cumin.
- Prep Time: 1 minute
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 3 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Put 1 tablespoon olive oil, kernels and salt into a large pan. Make sure the kernels are in a single layer.
- Cover the pot and heat it over medium high heat. Wait about 30 seconds until you hear popping sounds. Take it from heat and shake the pan moving it back and forth. Put it back on the heat with its lid slightly ajar. Repeat this two or three times in a minute.
- When the popping slows down, remove the pot from the heat and wait until you hear no sound, about a minute. Make sure the pot is still covered.
- When there is no popping at all, remove the lid. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over it, sprinkle cumin and chili powder and stir with a spoon well until all kernels are coated.