Looking for a healthy snack? How about some delicious roasted okra? These are crispy, spicy, tasty, healthy but no, it is NOT slimy. Get ready for the best okra recipe!
Among several healthy okra recipes, the most popular in Turkey is stewed okra and tomatoes. We love it so much that we have it quite often in summer as a light dinner accompanied by rice pilaf with orzo and a bowl of yogurt and cucumber dip aka Turkish cacik.
Although they are not very common in our culture, these roasted okra chips are also on top of our appetizer list.
We can actually call them roasted okra chips! It is perfect for potlucks, parties or when you simply want to snack on something healthy and tasty. This super nutritious vegetable will get its well-deserved place thanks to this roasted okra recipe.
Why We Love This Recipe
- These okra chips are NOT slimy. Okra does not have many fans because of its slimy texture it leaves in the mouth. However, oven roasting saves its bad rep and makes it a flavorful crispy snack.
- It is a healthy appetizer that surprises everyone. It goes very well with cold beer when served with an amazing tahini sauce. Even okra haters love them.
- These taste wonderfully spicy. We use only two spices: chili powder and garlic powder. They taste sooo good! But you can always add extra spices you like.
- A perfect way to use up okra. If you have a lot of okra, this recipe is perfect because okra slices shrinks as they are roasted.
All we need is okra, olive oil and some spices. When buying okra for a stew or soup recipe, get the small, baby okra pods as they are fresh and have better taste. On the other hand, pick the larger ones when making roasted okra because they get smaller as they are cooked.
Besides okra, we use garlic powder, salt, fresh thyme and chili powder to make a spice mix in this recipe. Use garlic powder instead of garlic because it may negatively affect the crispiness we want to have. Plus, garlic powder is more aromatic.
You can easily customize your own spice mix, though. I do not always use this mixture. Every time we make oven roasted okra, we use different spices. If we want a smoky flavor, we use cumin, salt and pepper. Ground oregano also adds a unique aroma.
As for the sauce to dip my okra chips, we use a complete vegan recipe: Turmeric Tahini Dressing. We mostly use this tangy dressing on salads, but it goes wonderfully on oven roasted okra chips too.
How To Clean Okra
Cleaning okra is super easy :
When making a stew or soup, we first clean the okra and then wash it. Plus we leave the okra whole and do not pierce the pod in any way so that it won’t get slimy. However, we don’t need to be that careful when roasting okra because it hardly ever gets slimy in oven.
To clean the okra, wash them and pat dry with paper towel. Remove the green stems and chop when they are completely dry.
We love okra chopped when roasting, but you can use whole okra too.
How To Make
Baked okra chips recipe is super easy.
First, mix the spices and chopped thyme in a large bowl. Then, wash the okra and pat dry with a paper towel. Trim the ends and slice the okra.
Now the only thing you have to do is to combine the sliced okra with spice mix.
Then place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a single layer and drizzle olive oil on it.
Bake it at high temperature for 15 minutes. Then remove it out from oven and give it a shake or flip the okra. And bake it another 10 mins so it becomes even crispier. It’s actually a vegan recipe but if you are not a vegan and want extra flavors and protein, sprinkle some parmesan on it in the last 5 minutes of the baking. Let melting cheese meet spicy crispy roasted okra! Yum!
- It is also possible to have roasted whole okra without slicing it first. However, it might turn out slightly slimy as it will keep the liquid inside. If you slice it, you won’t end up with slimy okra. It can get as crispy as you want depending on the baking time.
- When buying okra for this recipe, choose large ones because they are better when sliced and roasted. Okra slices will shrink when baked.
- These okra chips taste best when they are served right after they are made.
Yes, roasted frozen okra tastes delicious, as well. Just make sure you pat dry them and put them in an air tightened container. You can also put them in a plastic bag but make sure you suck the air in it (you can use a straw to do this) and tie up the plastic bag.
You can thaw the okra before baking it but it is not necessary. Leaving the okra frozen works just as well. It may just take 5-10 mins longer to get the desired crispiness.
Here I describe how to oven roast okra. But there are other ways to cook okra as well. Cooking okra on stove or pan grilled okra are very good options, too. If you will go for pan, do it in batches and in a single layer. Do not cover the pan. Otherwise it will not become crispy but slimy.
It’s better to serve these hot, so I wouldn’t recommend baking them ahead of time. Otherwise, they might lose their crispiness.
More Easy Snack Ideas
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!Print
Oven Roasted Okra Recipe
Fresh okra is chopped, combined with a spice mix and then roasted.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Snack
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups chopped okra
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 420F.
- Mix the spices and chopped thyme in a large bowl.
- Rinse the okra and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Trim the ends and then cut into pieces. Toss them in the spice mixture.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove and shake the pan or stir the okra pieces. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 103
- Sugar: 1.6 g
- Sodium: 609.2 mg
- Fat: 7.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.6 g
- Protein: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: roasted okra chips, crispy roasted okra, how to roast okra