(drawing by mom)
Are you those kind of people who love to snack while watching a movie or while working on your PC? If you are, what kind of things do you eat or drink? We sometimes have dried fruits with Turkish tea or cheese and red wine or beer and pistachio, crackers or chips. And we love to try new sauces with chips and crackers and our favorite ingredients in these sauces is strained yogurt, which might be called greek yogurt abroad.
I have heard many times that beetroot is on top of healthy foods. It is said that beetroot protects our body from diabetes and tuberculosis, helps liver work regularly and overcomes anaemia. Some doctors even claim that beetroot juice can be a remedy for cancer. So I’ve decided to have it more often in my kitchen. I’ve been trying to discover some new dishes with beetroot. Some fast food restaurants here have a pink sauce that is taking my attention and I love to have it in sandwiches or on baked potatoes. I’ve learnt that they make it by mixing yogurt and beetroot.
I had been planning to make this sauce for some time until last Friday. We made this pink appetizing dip on Friday and have it with crackers while watching a movie called Soul Kitchen by a famous Turkish director, Fatih Akın. It is an amusing movie about an unlucky man trying to save his restaurant. We enjoyed it a lot and it was also great to have something to eat while watching as there were always people eating and drinking something in that restaurant.
5 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 2 beetroots
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed
- Fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 cup strained yogurt
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- Boil the beetroots without peeling. When they are soft enough, take them from fire, wash and peel.
- You can drink the remaing water in the pot. I squeeze some lemon in it and I loveto drink it when it gets cold enough.
- Grate or puree the peeled beetroots.
- Mix strained yogurt, mayonnaise, salt and mashed garlic until combined very well.
- Then add the beetroot and chopped fresh dill. Put it in a bowl and serve it with crackers or chips.