You either like or hate beetroot, it’s one of those vegetables. Some people may not love its earthy flavor, but I do love it! I find it as tempting as the flavor of celeriac. To be honest, there are a few recipes for beetroot I love. I mean, I can’t say that I love it in any form. I love to mix it with sour flavors, so I generally use it in salads either cooked or raw. A salad with beetroot is more nutritious, isn’t it?
When cooking beetroot, I suggest you not to peel it as this helps it cook faster. Also if you peel it, all its lovely color will transfer into the water that you boil it in. So, peel it after it’s cooked and cooled. If it’s not cooled, your salad will not have a fresh flavor.
Writing about beetroot reminds me of a Turkish saying which includes the word “beetroot”. When one’s face turns red because s/he feels embarrassed after an event, we say “he gets as red as a beetroot” to emphasize how bad that person feels. There couldn’t be a better vegetable than beetroot to describe the face of an embarrassed person!
Salad With Beetroot
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 2 beetroots
- 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp goat cheese, crumbled
- parsley for garnish
- Boil beetroots until tender over medium heat about 30 minutes.
- Transfer them in cold water.
- Peel them when they are cold enough.
- Slice them and put in a bowl.
- Squeeze one lemon in a cup and mix it with vinegar and salt.
- Pour it on beetroot slices and mix.
- Transfer beetroot slices on a plate.
- Slice 1 lemon and place them between each beetroot slice.
- Garnish with goat cheese and parsley.