Making Homemade Pasta without machine is not as hard as you think. You need only 2 ingredients and a rolling pin to make it.
What Do We Need For Homemade Fresh Pasta
The fresh pasta dough ingredients are very similar to Turkish water borek dough ingredients. Believe it or not, we need only 2 ingredients: Flour and eggs. The perfect ratio is one large egg for 100g flour. So using a kitchen scale is the best. Large eggs are about 56g/2ounces without the shell, so if you are not sure if the eggs you are going to use are large or not, weigh them too. Read more about egg weights here: The Official Guide To Egg Weights.
How To Make Pasta Without A Pasta Maker
There are 3 folds in this recipe.
- First, make the dough: Put the flour in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and break the eggs in it. Use your fingers and combine them well. You can use a fork for this very first step to incorporate the eggs into the flour. Now, transfer it on the lightly floured counter and knead the dough for 5 minutes until you end up with a smooth dough. You might think that it needs some liquid, but be patient and keep kneading. It will result in a smooth dough in the end. Give it a ball shape. Cover the dough ball with cling film tightly and let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes. This time will help the gluten in the dough to develop and it will be easier to roll it out.
- Second, roll it out. Give the dough ball a disc or a log shape and cut it into 6 equal pieces. You can use a scale for this step too. Use a rolling pin and roll them out one by one on a lightly floured counter. Make sure you keep the remaining dough balls with a damp water while you are rolling out one.
- Third, shape it. Sprinkle flour on top of the rolled pasta sheet, roll it up loosely and cut it into strips in the thickness you desire.
How To Cook Fresh Pasta
When you are ready to cook, boil a pot of water. Add in salt. Place fresh pasta in it. Bring it to boil and then let it simmer for 3 minutes. Remove when the fresh pasta starts to float in water. Serve it simply with butter or use your favorite pasta sauce recipes.
How To Store Homemade Fresh Pasta
- Keep it in the fridge covered for 3 days.
- Keep it in the freezer for a month.
- Dry it in the oven and keep it in jars at room temperature for more than 6 months. Read the note in the recipe card below.
More Pasta RecipesPrint
Fresh pasta with 2 ingredients made with a rolling pin.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Total Time: 33 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Italian
- 600g all purpose flour
- 6 large eggs (one egg for 100g flour)
- Put the flour in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and break the eggs in it.
- Use your fingers and combine them well.
- Transfer it on the lightly floured counter and knead the dough for 5 minutes until you end up with a smooth dough. Give it a ball shape.
- Cover the dough ball with cling film tightly and let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes. This time will help the gluten in the dough to develop and it will be easier to roll it out.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and cut it into 6 pieces.
- Lightly flour the counter and using a rolling pin, roll one of the dough pieces out as thin as possible. Meanwhile keep the other pieces covered with a damp towel so that it won’t dry out.
- Now lightly flour the top of the pasta and roll it up loosely. Cut into strips (0.5cm/0.19cm).
- Sprinkle a little flour on the strips and separate them out with your fingers.
- When you are ready to cook, boil a pot of water. Add in salt. Place fresh pasta in it. Bring it to boil and then let it simmer for 3 minutes. Remove when the fresh pasta starts to float in water.
- Add in butter when it is still hot and give it a gentle stir. Garnish with cheese, walnuts and herbs or how you desire.
- You can store the rest of the fresh pasta in portions covered in the fridge for 3 days or for a month in the freezer. Alternatively, you can dry them in the oven. Read the note below.
To dry the fresh pasta, place them separated on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven (180C/350F) for about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, let them cool and store in jars for months. These make a great addition to soups like our Lentil And Spinach Soup With Pasta.
Keywords: homemade pasta without machine, homemade fresh pasta