This vegetarian oyster mushroom soup is super flavorful and satisfying. It is made with vegetables, herbs and pasta, so can be served as the main course with a salad on the side. You can easily turn it into a gluten-free recipe.
Oyster mushrooms are our favorite type of mushrooms because of their meaty texture and unique flavor. So we love to create recipes with them. And our chicken noodle soup garnished with radishes inspired us when making this mushroom soup.
Looking at the texture of the soup, one might think that it is a chicken or beef soup because the pieces of oyster mushrooms in the soup really look like a type of meat. Especially kids won’t believe it is a vegetarian soup.
As for the taste, it is rich and soooo good thanks to the combination of all the flavors in the pot.
Also check out our Chunky Vegan Cabbage Soup Recipe!
If you haven’t tried an oyster mushroom recipe yet, this soup will be a great start!
- Olive oil
- Green onions
- White onions
- Homemade tomato paste
- Fresh oyster mushrooms
- Black pepper
- Lemon juice
- Hot water
- You can use whatever vegetable you have on hand. Leeks, celery, spinach and potatoes are all fine. If you use potatoes, either leave the pasta out or use a smaller amount so that you don’t end up a very starchy soup.
- It is the same for parsley. You can use your favorite herb instead. Fresh dill or thyme could be good substitutes.
- If you are looking for a gluten-free soup recipe, omit pasta or use a gluten-free type of pasta.
- If you want your soup vegan, make sure the pasta you use doesn’t contain eggs. So please read the ingredients label on the package.
- If you want, you can use vegetable broth instead of plain water.
How To Make
It is a very easy soup recipe with three steps.
First, cook the vegetables. Heat olive oil in a pot and cook chopped onions, green onions, carrots and garlic together until tender. Add in tomato paste and stir well. Cook it for 2 minutes.
Second, toss chopped oyster mushrooms and parsley in the pot and sprinkle salt and pepper. Sauté them together over medium high heat for about 10 minutes. It will release some water.
Finally, toss in pasta, lemon juice and hot water. Bring it to boil and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. Serve it with chopped parsley and green onions on the top.
- Do you need to cook the pasta before adding it to the soup? No, you don’t. Just put it dry. It cooks well with all the other things in the pot thanks to the broth inside.
- What is a good substitute for pasta? You can use more vegetables like potatoes, spahetti squash or zucchini. Another substitute could be rice. But the amount will change for sure. Use ¼ cup rice for this recipe.
- Are oyster mushrooms good in soup? Yes, they are. Sauté them for a few minutes before pouring the water into the pot. This will help them release their juice and the mushrooms get more flavorful this way. If you put them at the sime time with water, you will feel like you are eating steamed mushrooms.
- Can I make this soup with other mushrooms? Yes, you can. Portobello mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, white button mushrooms, shiitake or porcini mushrooms all work fine. You can even make a combination of all these.
- Can I use dried mushrooms? Yes you can. Rinse the dried mushrooms well. Put them in a bowl and then pour very hot water over them. Let them soak for 20-30 minutes and then strain. Save some of the liquid to use in the soup for more flavor. You can even combine fresh oyster mushrooms and dried mushrooms for this soup.
- Can I use wild oyster mushrooms for this recipe? Yes, you can use any type of edible wild mushrooms, but you might need to consult an expert to identify which ones are edible and which ones are poisonous.
Other Oyster Mushroom Recipes
- Buttered Oyster Mushrooms With Garlic
- Sauteed Oyster Mushroom Recipe With Bell Peppers
- Roasted Oyster Mushrooms Recipe
Other Mushroom Recipes
OTher Vegan SoupsPrint
Oyster Mushroom Soup
A super flavorful vegan soup with oyster mushrooms, vegetables and pasta.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 medium white onion, diced
- 2 colves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup pasta
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 5 and ½ cup hot water
- Heat olive oil in a large pot.
- Cook green onions, White onions, garlic and carrots until tender.
- Add in tomato paste. Stir well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Toss in chopped oyster mushrooms, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook over medium low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Toss in dry pasta, lemon juice and hot water. Bring it to boil and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve with chopped fresh parsley and green onions on the top.
Keywords: oyster mushroom soup, oyster mushrooms recipe