There are several vegetables used to make fritters, but zucchini is the most prefered one in Turkish cuisine. There are several reasons why Turkish women generally use zucchini for fritters. First, it helps digestion system of body. You don’t feel bloated when you eat fritters made of zucchini. There is another reason for Turkish moms to favour zucchini while making fritters. You know moms always wish their children eat all vegetables and zucchini is one of the vegetables that children hardly love to eat. However, I can’t think of a child who refuses these small and cute fritters. Knowing this, clever moms make fritters to make their children love this light vegetable. As this is not a main dish, moms generally make these as a snack before dinner time when their children come back from school.
Also, zucchini fritters enrich friend meetings in the afternoon. Turkish women try to serve various snacks when they invite some friends. Some of these snacks are a kind of borek, stuffed grapevine leaves, kisir, potato salad, lentil balls, cigarette borek, etc. And zucchini fritters are one of these snacks that is served to guests on a plate with some sliced tomatoes and cucumbers.
The last reason to prefer zucchini for fritters is that Turkish women want to put leftover zucchinis in use. When making stuffed zucchini, they carve their inside out and they don’t use these in stuffing mixture. As they don’t want to waste these, they generally put them in a plastic bag and keep in refrigerator for the following day. They make fritters from these at breakfast or as a snack for their children. So if you stuff zucchinis, do not throw their insides away.
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 8 tbsp flour
- Half bunch of parsley
- Half bunch of fresh dill
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil to fry
- Grate the zucchinis and squeeze their juice with your hands.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add cheese and whisk.
- Mince the parsley and dill. Put them with grated and squeezed zucchini in the egg mixture.
- Finally, add flour, baking powder, salt and black pepper. Mix them all until combined.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Take a little mixture with a tablespoon and throw it in the pan. Put as many pieces as your pan contains. When one side is fried (in about a minute), flap the other side. When both sides are fried, take the fritters and put them on a paper towel to get rid of the excessive oil.
- Alternatively, you can cook them in oven instead of frying if you want it without oil. You will just place the fritter mixture with a tablespoon on a baking sheet in an oven tray and cook them at 350F for about 30 minutes until golden.
- Serve these fritters with some greens or sliced tomatoes and cucumbers.