These Double Chocolate Pancakes are soft, fluffy and so decadent. In addition to cocoa powder and chocolate chips in the batter, these pancakes are drizzled with a chocolate ganache for another dose of chocolate. They make perfect weekend breakfast for true chocolate lovers!
This post was originally published in 2015 and has been updated with additional information.
Although pancakes are normally considered as a breakfast or brunch food, because of the chocolate sauce on the top, I love these chocolate pancakes for dessert. Who can judge you if you even spread the sauce between the layers? It is your chocolate pancake recipe and you can use as much chocolate as you like. It’s not something you do everyday and weekends are for spoiling ourselves. Right?
The batter doesn’t have much sugar but the sweetness of chocolate chips in the batter and the chocolate ganache on the top will be enough. However if you are planning to leave the ganache out, you need to add some more sugar when mixing the batter or dust the pancakes with powdered sugar when serving.
These chocolate pancakes taste almost no different from your favorite Greek yogurt chocolate cake thanks to the chocolate on the top and chocolate chips in the batter. Maybe I should call them chocolate chocolate chip pancakes? They can even serve as a birthday morning cake when you place a candle on its top or you can make them look even fancier with some sprinkles just like Melanie’s Birthday Cake Pancakes. True chocolate lovers will immediately want to indulge in these very tempting chocolate loaded pancakes.
If you like eating sweets in the morning, these pancakes can take you to the heaven at the weekend when the whole family is around the table. You can decrease the calories by sharing these pancakes with your beloved ones. And you will all feel on cloud nine!
How to make chocolate pancakes
- It is super easy to make. Not much different from your regular pancakes. You can create the best chocolate pancakes in a few minutes. Just like making a cake, start whisking eggs and sugar in a bowl. Add in milk and oil.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in another bowl and sift this into the wet mixture. Stir until combined. Fold in chocolate chips and make your pancakes as you normally do.
- Prepare the chocolate ganache recipe in a pan and pour it over the stack of pancakes.
I know pancakes are eaten for breakfast and they are normally not chocolaty, but you know the sky is the limit when you are making pancakes. It is possible to create zillions of varieties when you have a sweet tooth that is hard to satisfy. I’m not going to say these are healthy but we can break the rules once in a blue moon to spoil ourselves a bit.
Alternatives to chocolate pancakes
If you aren’t on the sweet side and think that it’s crazy to have this out-of-this world chocolate pancakes for breakfast, then go check our Egg and Potato Stuffed Bell Peppers to turn your breakfast into a savory feast.
On the other hand, if you want to make healthy pancakes, give Kristen’s Whole Wheat Pancakes a try. She even shares the tricks for making delicious whole wheat pancakes in that post, so go see her recipe! If you are after a gluten-free pancake recipe, Michelle’s Gluten-Free Buttermilk Pancakes are for you. For the vegan readers, our Pancake Recipe With Almond Milk would be a great option. I think it would be a good twist on all these healthy pancake recipes when you substitute cocoa powder for a little amount of flour and add chocolate chips into the batter.
What to eat with chocolate pancakes
These double chocolate pancakes are more like a dessert, so it’s up to you to have these in the morning or at five o’clock tea in the afternoon. Besides the cocoa powder, the pancake batter has some chocolate chips and the pancakes are topped with chocolate ganache which makes these pancakes divine.
If you are having these as a dessert, the best companion for these pancakes would definitely be a good ice cream like my favorite Turkish Ice Cream. If you are craving for even more chocolate flavors, I’d highly recommend our Oreo Icecream.
To balance all that chocolate flavor, I decided to top the stack of chocolate pancakes with some berries. Also, the color contrast they’re making is great as well. Don’t you think they help the pancakes look more like a special occasion cake? I love to use these little cute berries to decorate desserts just like in Raspberry Chia Pudding, which would unquestionably be the healthier alternative.
Other Pancake Recipes You Might Like
- Pancake Recipe No Eggs
- Healthy Banana Pancake Recipe
- Banana Pancakes With Yogurt
- Cheese Pancakes Recipe
- Pumpkin Yogurt Pancakes
- Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes
Chocolate Ganache Recipe Tutorial
Double Chocolate Pancakes
Chocolate pancakes tasting just like a wonderful chocolate cake. Much easier!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 and 1/3 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup raspberries for garnish
- 100ml heavy cream
- 100g chocolate chips
- Start with making chocolate ganache so that it cools down until you finish frying pancakes. Heat heavy cream in a saucepan. Remove from heat once it simmers. You can watch the ganache video above.
- Pour over chocolate chips and let it sit for 5 minutes without stirring. Then whisk them well until it turns into a smooth and silky ganache. Wait it until it reaches room temperature before pouring it over pancakes.
- To make pancakes, in a medium bowl whisk together egg and sugar until creamy. Add in milk and sunflower oil, whisk until combined well.
- In another bowl whisk dry ingredients and sift it into the wet ingredients. Whisk until combined well. IT will be a thick batter. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and either spread a little butter over it or brush with a little sunflower oil. Scoop the batter onto the pan using a 1/4 cup for each pancake. Cook until you see bubbles on the top, for about 1 minute or so. Flip them over and cook for another 1 minute. Repeat this until you finish the batter.
- Stack the pancakes on a plate and pour chocolate ganache over them. Let the chocolate flow down. Wait for 2-3 minutes so that the ganache sets a bit and then top with raspberries. Serve immediately.
Keywords: pancakes, chocolate pancakes