I don’t remember the number of zucchini recipes on the blog, here is another great one: Vegetarian Baked Zucchini. When giving the recipe for Easy Cheesy Zucchini, I said my goal is to make everyone realizes the beauty of zucchini and give it the value it deserves. So I’m moving ahead and hope I will reach my goal this summer after sharing the best zucchini recipes I’ve tried.
I’m not sure if these could be called zucchini boats as I didn’t scoop the insides. I baked them as a whole because I sometimes find it time consuming to scoop them. This is the reason why my vegetarian baked zucchini is the easiest zucchini recipe ever! Just slice them in two, brush with olive oil and top with sliced red bell pepper and cheese. Don’t forget to season with salt and ground black pepper. Easy, isn’t it?
You can prepare the zucchinis within 5 minutes and your vegetarian baked zucchini will be ready after a 45-minute baking. Meanwhile you will have enough time to prepare dinner and set the table when it’s in oven. This makes a perfect side when served with Green Lentil Pasta. If you are not vegetarian, you can pair it with chicken just like we did.
Zucchinis get perfectly tender, but not mushy, just perfect for cutting with a knife. I used Turkish kasar cheese, which can be replaced by parmesan. I didn’t use much, just 1 and ½ tablespoon on each zucchini slice because I didn’t want the cheese to surpass the taste of zucchini this time. You can definitely increase the amount if you love cheesy zucchini.
If you are looking for the world’s easiest tasty side dish for a summer dinner, give this vegetarian baked zucchini!
- 2 zucchinis, sliced in half
- ¼ teaspoon salt for each half
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped in rings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoons grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 375C or 190C.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place zucchini slices on it and sprinkle salt on each.
- Place red bell pepper slices on each and drizzle over olive oil.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until soft enough.
- Remove from oven and top each zucchini half with 1 and ½ tablespoons of grated cheese and bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese nicely melts.
- Serve warm.