This Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole is a wonderful side dish that you can easily make for special occasions. It is gluten-free and low-carb, yet unbelievably tasty.
One of our favorite vegetable is cauliflower and we love to create new recipes with it. Give us a head of raw cauliflower and we can just sprinkle some salt, squeeze some lemon on the florets and eat it as a side. And this broccoli cauliflower casserole is an amazing vegetarian lunch that we make often during winter.
We already have a favorite cauliflower recipe that we make often and shared with you long time ago: Cheesy Cauliflower Recipe. We even made a video for it in case you need. This time we wanted to change things a bit though and came up with one of the best broccoli and cauliflower recipes.
We didn’t have enough cauliflower on the day we made this casserole, so we decided to make a combo of cauliflower and broccoli. They are from the same family, aren’t they?
We wanted this casserole to be really healthy and low-calorie, so we didn’t load it with cheese, just ½ cup was enough. If you like it more cheesy, you can increase the amount of cheese. It’s definitely up to you. Besides, this is a gluten-free broccoli cauliflower casserole recipe. No flour or no substitute for it is needed. Instead we added a combination of yogurt and milk in the egg mixture. This helps everything hold together, so you can slice it when serving.
How To Make
The recipe is quite simple. First, Steam or cook cauliflower and broccoli florets for 5-6 minutes, transfer them into cold water and drain. Meanwhile, whisk together an egg, milk, Greek yogurt, olive oil and cheese. Next, combine the wet mixture with the cooked broccoli and cauliflower florets and bake for about 40 minutes. Optionally, you can sprinkle little cheese over it and bake an extra 5 minutes or until slightly golden. Finally, top with crispy onions after it is baked.
Does it freeze well?
In addition to all of these, this broccoli cauliflower casserole freezes well, so you can prepare it ahead of time and reheat when you are in need of a tasty side dish to serve at a family dinner occasion. Why don’t you try it for the upcoming Thanksgiving?
Other Thanksgiving Ideas
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!
Sign up for the FREE GiveRecipe Newsletter to get the new recipes into your inbox! And stay in touch with us on Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
A gluten-free and low-calorie side dish recipe with cauliflower and broccoli. Simple, easy, healthy, yet so tasty.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 4 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup parmesan or another cheese you like
- 1 and ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- Steam broccoli and cauliflower florets or cook them in boiling water for 5-6 minutes or until broccoli florets are bright green. Remove from the heat and transfer them into cold water. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375F. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, Greek yogurt, olive oil, ¾ of the cheese, salt and pepper.
- Add in the cooked cauliflower and broccoli florets and stir well. Pour it in a small casserole pan and bak efor about 40 minutes or until slightly golden. Optionally, you can remove it after 40 minutes, sprinkle little extra cheese and bake for another 5 minutes.
- For the onion topping, heat olive oil in the same pan you boil the florets. Make sure you dry it first. Add the onions and saute over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes or until they are golden and Brown around the edges.
- Top the baked casserole with sauted onions and then serve.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 221
- Sugar: 5.6 g
- Sodium: 1044.4 mg
- Fat: 15.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.3 g
- Protein: 10.5 g
- Cholesterol: 68.2 mg
Keywords: broccoli cauliflower casserole
Hubert Vale says
Awful! WAYYY TOO SALTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!