Cheesy Cabbage Casserole is one of the best vegetarian cabbage recipes ever! The melting cheese in the layers when served hot is out of this world! You feel like you are eating a savory pie, but with lower carbs.
This cabbage casserole with cheese is always a hit as a vegetarian meal. When we crave a meaty dinner, our number one is unstuffed beef and cabbage casserole. And when we are in the mood for a cozy soup, we often make a large pot of vegetarian cabbage soup or beef cabbage stew kapuska.
Cabbage is just another vegetable that is underrated and mostly not loved by kids. But when you bake it with cheese and herbs as we do in this recipe, everyone in the family loves it. Surprisingly enough, they won’t even notice that they are eating that so-called “boring” cabbage.
What Do We Need?
This is a quite straightforward casserole recipe without can of soups. The ingredients are all healthy and easy to find. They are almost the same as pie ingredients:
- Cabbage: Finely sliced. But they don’t need to look perfect. They won’t keep their shape anyway.
- Fresh Dill or any herb you like. Parsley or green onions work fine too.
- Eggs: Use free range large eggs.
- Yogurt: Use unflavored, plain yogurt.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is our favorite even in baking, but you can use vegetable oil or sunflower oil too.
- Flour: We use all purpose flour here. I think whole wheat or even gluten-free flour works fine too. Or you can just use breadcrumbs instead.
- Baking soda
- Mozzarella. It is the second most important ingredient in this cabbage casserole with cheese. So use your favorite cheese here. We use shredded mozzarella both in the batter and for topping. But you can use a mixture of mozzarella and cheddar or parmesan. Cheddar would be great especially for topping.
How To Make
First, prepare the cabbage. Slice it using a sharp knife and transfer in a large bowl. Sprinkle salt over it and massage the cabbage slices, squeezing them in your hand until soft, about 20-30 seconds. This step will help the cabbage cook easier. Add in chopped fresh dill and put it aside.
Second, prepare the batter by whisking together the eggs, yogurt, oil, flour and baking soda.
Third, combine the softened cabbage with the batter and shredded mozzarella, stirring well with a spatula.
Finally, bake it in a 9-inch baking dish at 375F for 20 minutes. Remove and sprinkle extra cheese on the top and bake until the cheese melts.
As we want it to be a vegetarian cabbage casserole with cheese, we didn’t use any kind of meat. If you want a more protein packed recipe, the following ingredients might be good options for you:
If you want a variety of vegetables in it, the options are as follows:
- Potatoes: Slightly boil them first and dice. Then combine with the batter.
- Carrots: You can use them shredded and massaged together with cabbage.
- Spinach: Just tear some and add in the batter.
Another alternative add-in is for the topping. You can use a combination of cheese and crushed crackers or cornflakes for the topping. Just sprinkle these when you remove the pan after 20 minutes and bake for another 5 minutes.
How To Store
You can keep the leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Just reheat it in preheated oven for 5 minutes and then serve.
What I love about cabbage casserole recipes is that they freeze well. This one is not an exception. Just let it cool down completely and put in a freezer container for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the fridge overnight and then reheat in the oven before serving.
Other Cabbage Recipes
Other Vegetarian Casserole Recipes
- Cheesy Cauliflower In Oven
- Tomato Zucchini Casserole Vegan
- Easy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
- Cauliflower Casserole Vegan
As always: If you make this recipe –or any recipes on Give Recipe– let us know what you think by leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!Print
Cheesy Cabbage Casserole
Vegetarian cabbage casserole with cheese baked in oven
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minnutes
- Total Time: 43 minute
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 6 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- ¼ cup extra mozzarella, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Put finely sliced cabbage in a large bowl. Sprinkle salt over it and massage the cabbage until soft (about 20-30 seconds). Add in chopped fresh dill and put aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs well. Add in yogurt and oil, whisk well.
- Sift in flour and baking soda. Mix until smooth.
- Pour this batter over cabbage. Add in shredded mozzarella. Stir well with a spatula.
- Pour it in a slightly greased 9-inch baking pan. Bak efor 20 minutes. Remove and sprinkle ¼ cup shredded mozzarella over it. Bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
Keywords: cheesy cabbage casserole, vegetarian cabbage casserole