Vegan Tomato Zucchini Casserole
No cheese, no cream, no beef, no egg in this casserole, but it is bursting into summer flavors. This is an addictive zucchini casserole even for vegetable haters!
- Author: Zerrin & Yusuf
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Turkish
- Diet: Vegan
- 3 large zucchinis, (1 pound) thinly sliced
- 3 large tomatoes, pureed (makes 2 cups)
- 6 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, Mexican or another type
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Mix pureed tomato, garlic, parsley, green onions, lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil and spices in a medium bowl.
- Put zucchini slices in a large bowl and pour the pureed tomato mixture over them. Stir well using your hand so that each zucchini slice is coated with the red sauce.
- Transfer them in a large baking dish so that the layer is not very thick. Bake for about 45 minutes or the top gets golden.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Slice the zucchini thinly. You can use a mandoline slicer to do this.
- Use the freshest and tastiest tomatoes you can find. They give the best flavor you need in this zucchini tomato casserole. If you can’t find good tomatoes, then we would suggest you add 1-2 tablespoons of tomato paste.
- For the vinegar, it is also very important to use a good quality flavorful kind. For this courgette recipe, we prefer using grape vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is a fantastic choice too and has a good balance of sweetness and tang.
- If you don’t like the aroma of vinegar or don’t have it on hand, use a bit more lemon juice instead.
- Make sure 4-5 slices of zucchini overlap in the baking dish, not more than this. So make sure your baking pan is not too small for all the slices.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 160
- Sugar: 8.1 g
- Sodium: 1210 mg
- Fat: 11.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.3 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: zucchini recipes, vegan zucchini recipes, zucchini tomato casserole, vegan zucchini casserole