Roasted Chicken and Vegetables flavored with garlic, spices, lemon juice and olive oil is always a family favorite. Juicy and tender chicken thighs are baked with potatoes and other veggies you have on hand with no fuss. This is an easy go-to dinner recipe that you can make on busy weekdays.
Juicy baked chicken thighs and delicious veggies are flavored with garlic and seasoned with various spices. Just out of the oven! Smells so good and feels so comforting! If you want to put some delicious chicken roasted with vegetables on your dinner table tonight, look no further. All you need is 15 minutes to prepare this tasty and healthy meal. The oven will do the rest for you.
You know it’s almost impossible to go wrong with oven baked chicken pieces recipe. When chicken comes together with potatoes and other vegetables, it gets even easier to satisfy everyone.
I make many different chicken recipes at home simply because they are quick, healthy and tasty. A dinner with chicken wings and bulgur can easily get folks at home around the table in no time. Sticky chicken wings turn our regular dinner into a pure feast at home. Herb and lemon chicken, which is my favorite, has a more refreshing and delicate flavor.
This roast chicken with vegetables is just another delicious and simple chicken recipe I make quite often. Some days I come home from work, exhausted and want to make a simple dinner. What I do in these situations is to prepare the ingredients and place them in a pan and the oven will do the job for me. So, baking time gives me time to relax or finish some work until the dinner is ready.
Ingredients for Roasted Chicken and Vegetables Recipe
Roasted chicken thighs and vegetables is a nutrition pack. The ingredients cater the needs of a good diet very well. Chicken provides good amount of protein. As it is white meat, it is healthier and lighter than most other sources of animal-based protein like beef or butter. We have big amount of garlic in the recipe which is mostly known as a natural anti-biotic.
Besides potatoes, this recipe contains various other veggies like carrots, red bell peppers and tomatoes. They are a good source of fiber, which is essential in a healthy diet, and vitamins. And they all go wonderfully with chicken.
Spices like black pepper, thyme, and chili pepper contribute a lot to the flavor. And the good thing is you can be flexible with them and add in whatever spice you like.
I am a big fan of olive oil, so I add a generous amount of olive oil in it. With olive oil, nothing can go wrong. It makes this meal as light as it makes it delicious.
How to Make Roasted Chicken and Veggies
Making baked chicken and vegetables in the oven takes three simple steps.
- Let’s start with preheating the oven to 400F/200C. While it’s heating, put chicken thighs, potatoes, carrots, red bell pepper and tomatoes in a large bowl. Now Season with salt and spices. Add in olive oil, lemon juice and water. Toss very well.
- Transfer chicken thighs first into a baking dish. Then add vegetables on and around the thighs and pour any remained sauce over them. Cover it with aluminium foil. We are almost there!
- Roast your chicken and veggies in oven for 50 minutes. It’s done. Now sprinkle parsley on it and serve! People are getting impatient now that they can smell it!
How Long to Roast Chicken with Vegetables
I use either boneless chicken thighs or drumsticks in this recipe. As for the vegetables, potatoes are staple for me but you can use any vegetable you have on hand. Put everything in a casserole pan, drizzle a generous amount olive oil and bake at 400F for 50 minutes.
I bake everything together and never have a problem. The only thing I can warn you about is the chopped size of the potatoes you use. Don’t chop them very thinly to prevent them from being mashed. Make thick slices of potatoes (about 1 inch) so that they are cooked at the same time. Just halving them would be enough if you are using baby potatoes. If you are using other vegetables, consider their cooking time before slicing them.
When you use a whole chicken though, you will probably need more baking time. Check the tenderness of potatoes after 50 minutes, remove them if they are done and bake the whole chicken for an extra 20-30 minutes.
3 Methods for Baking Chicken and Vegetables in the Oven
- In foil packets: You can cut squares of foil and place a few spoons of chopped vegetables on each. Then place one chicken thigh in each foil square. The amount of ingredients will depend on the size of the squares. Just make sure you can close your foils properly.
- In sheet pan: If you place ingredients in a sheet pan, I recommend you do not remove the skin on the chicken parts. Otherwise, you will probably end up with dry chickens. If you leave the skins on, you will have delicious juicy thighs.
- In a baking pan covered with foil: Put everything in a baking pan and cover it well with foil. I use this method in this very recipe. But the other methods work equally well.
FAQs About This Baked Chicken with Vegetables
What vegetables go good with chicken?
The good news is that many vegetables are good companies to chicken. It is completely up to your wishes and creativity. You can have roasted chicken with potatoes only if you do not want any other veggies to interfere with this amazing couple J But I prefer to have as many nutrients as I can get from a meal so I add in different veggies, as well. I make different versions of this baked chicken recipe with different vegetables. I sometimes substitute peppers with zucchini or I sometimes add in broccoli or cauliflower, especially in winter.
Can you bake vegetables with raw chicken?
Yes, you can. The only thing is chicken takes a bit longer to bake than veggies so you get very tender veggies. But this should not be a problem unless you like your veggies tough.
Should I wash chicken before I cook it?
No, you should not. Washing chicken is said to be unhealthy as it can spread germs or some bad bacteria when washed.
Do you cover chicken when baking?
Yes, if you want juicy chicken! For this very recipe with skinless chicken thighs, I recommend covering the chicken otherwise it might dry out. However, covering is not needed if you use chicken with skin on.
What can I season my chicken with?
Most spices go very well with chicken. Cumin is one of them. Thyme, curry powder, oregano, rosemary, black pepper, nutmeg also go very well with chicken.
Does baking chicken in foil keep it moist?
Yes. With the foil wrapped around it, chicken keeps its juice for itself and this makes it moist and tender. Make sure you do not overcook, though. If you overcook chicken, foils may not be enough to keep it moist.
What to Serve with Roasted Chicken Thighs and Vegetables
As you see in the picture above, we love to pair this scrumptious meal with orzo rice and refreshing Turkish cacik, which is very similar to Greek tzatziki. If you prefer to serve it with a refreshing salad, Mary’s Memphis Style Coleslaw Recipe and Rebecca’s Cucumber Scallion Salad would be perfect match too.
Oh and if you make this recipe, I’d love to hear your feedback. Please rate it and leave a comment below.
You make my day if you take a cell phone picture and share it with me on Instagram. Just tag me @zerrin_giverecipe and I don’t miss it. You have no idea how happy I get when I see someone making my recipes.
Other Chicken Recipes You Might Like
- Healthy Baked Lemon Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Shish Kabob In Oven
- Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Chicken Fillet Recipe
- Chicken Chili Recipe Easy
- Chicken Mustard Sauce
- Pumpkin Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Tomato Sauce Recipe
- Chicken Mushroom Saute
- Easy Sauteed Chicken
Roasted Chicken And Vegetables
Juicy and tender chicken thighs are baked with potatoes and other veggies you have on hand with no fuss.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 3 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 6 chicken thighs, skin removed
- 4 potatoes, sliced in 1 inch thickness
- 2 carrots, chopped in 1 inch size
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4–5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon sweet chili powder
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Place chicken thighs, potatoes, carrots, red bell pepper and tomatoes in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and spices.
- Add in 3 tbsp olive oil, lemon juice and water.
- Give them a good stir either with a spatula or with your hand.
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C.
- Transfer chicken thighs first into a baking dish.
- Then add vegetables on and around the thighs and pour any remained sauce over them.
- Cover it with aluminium foil.
- Roast in oven for 50 minutes.
- Sprinkle parsley over it when serving.
Keywords: chicken, chicken thigh, roasted chicken, easy chicken recipe, baked chicken and potatoes
This post was originally published in 2012 and it has been updated with additional information and new pictures.