Crepes are one of those foods that turn regular a breakfast into a festive one! Who doesn’t crave for a festive like breakfast on a Sunday morning? All family members are around the table waiting for the surprise food of the week and you already know what to make: Paper thin crepes! What if you have to follow a gluten-free diet? Then you should make these basic gluten-free crepes with rice flour.
I made these gluten-free crepes this morning and they were utterly scrumptious! They taste no different from regular crepes made with all purpose flour. It was the first time I used rice flour in crepe batter, so I went a bit experimental and had the right amounts after a few trials.
I wasn’t sure at first how much batter I should pour into the pan to make them paper thin since I was afraid the batter wouldn’t hold well in the pan. I understood that rice flour didn’t make any change about the consistency and cooking process. Also, they look just the same as the Crepes I always make!
A tip when making crepes: Pour a ladle of the batter on the same point in the pan and roll the pan from side to side to make a round shape crepe. And you should act fast at this step. You shouldn’t add any more batter on it. Do it just at a time!
You can fill these thin gluten-free crepes with your favorite filling and easily roll them up. You can either enjoy it slicing bite size with a knife or just use your hands. My choice is almost always savory. I love to fill my crepes with a feta and parsley mixture, but I wanted to make a change this time and filled them with nutella. Nutella stuffed paper thin gluten-free crepes! Can you think of a better breakfast on a day when you have enough time to linger at the table eating a little of this and that, drinking your tea and reading your paper?
Nutella stuffed gluten-free crepes not only make an amazing breakfast, but they also make a delectable dessert. Sift a little powdered sugar to make them even more appealing. So you can easily make these to satisfy your sweet tooth when you don’t have time to prepare a chocolate cake.
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups rice flour
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup olive oil, ½ tbsp for each crepe
- Mix all the ingredients except oil with a fork until smooth.
- Heat a non stick pan and pour ½ tbsp oil in it.
- When the oil is very hot pour a ladle of batter on the same point in the pan and roll the panfrom side to side to give the batter a round shape.
- Cook it for 1 or 2 minutes. Just check the bottom with a wooden spatula when it releases and flip when it has the nice color you want.
- Flip it up and cook the other side for 1 or 2 minutes and transfer it on a plate.
- Repeat the same steps until you finish all the batter pouring ½ tbsp olive oil in the pan each time.
- Serve these right after you make with various fillings aside.