Tuscan White Bean Soup with potatoes, carrots and spinach makes a perfect dinner on chilly days. Super tasty and super satisfying! And very easy to make.
Soups have an important place in our family. We love a good comforting soup for lunch or as a starter at dinner. Turkish red lentil soup is a classic for us and we make it quite often. Also, spinach soup, cabbage soup and oyster mushroom soup are our new favorites.
Tuscan Bean Soup is the best comforting meal on a chilly and rainy day. You will get warm even with the smell that fills your home. This is such a satisfying soup loaded with veggies and flavors that you don’t need anything else on your dinner table. Maybe just some drops of lime juice to add richness to the soup when serving.
About The Ingredients
- White Beans: You can use canned beans, which will make things even easier. Navy beans or cannellini beans work fine for this vegetarian bean soup. But you can definitely use other types like black eyed peas, lima beans or cranberry beans. If you want to cook beans from scratch though, soaking beans overnight would be the best before you start to cook them. It takes about 30 minutes to cook the raw beans if they are soaked for a good period of time beforehand.
- Vegetables: We use onion, garlic, potatoes, carrots, celery and spinach. All these have the most comforting flavor together. We sometimes add in some sweetcorn too and substitute kale for spinach.
- Spices: Black pepper and cumin are the spices that give a warming feeling to the soup.
- Hot Water: We use just plain hot water in this white bean soup because all the vegetables we put have enough flavor. But if you want, you can use vegetable stock to have even a richer taste.
- Lemon juice: The sourness of lemon will take this vegan bean soup to a whole next level. You can add as much as you like, but start with 1 tablespoon. Taste and adjust the amount as you like.
How To Make
The recipe is quite straightforward.
- Cook chopped onion in olive oil until translucent.
- Add in garlic, carrots, potatoes and celery. Sprinkle black pepper and cumin and stir well. Cook all these for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the veggies stick to the bottom of the pan, add a splash of water. Let it cook for a few minutes.
- Add in beans and pour hot water into the pot and cook over medium heat. Bring it to a boil and then let it simmer until all the veggies are soft enough for 15 minutes.
- As the final touch, add in roughly chopped spinach or kale and lemon juice for the best result. And let it cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
If you are planning to have this vegan white bean soup for lunch, we recommend a fresh salad like Turkish shepherd salad to pair with it.
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!
Mediterranean Tuscan White Bean Soup
Tuscan bean soup made with vegetables like carrots, potatoes, celery stalks and spinach.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 meidum onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 potato, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 bunch spinach or kale, stems removed and roughly torn
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white beans, canned (drained and rinsed) or cooked beforehand
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large pot, heat olive oil and add onion and cook until golden. Add in other veggies and sprinkle black pepper and cumin over them. Stir well. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring. If it gets too dry, just pour a little water to prevent sticking and stir.
- Toss in beans and pour hot water over them. Cook over medium high heat and bring to simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook partly covered for about 20 minutes so that all flavors combine well.
- Serve hot with a little extra black pepper and lime juice.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 256
- Sugar: 4.1 g
- Sodium: 1157.2 mg
- Fat: 7.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 38.4 g
- Protein: 11.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Tuscan bean soup, white bean soup, Mediterranean bean soup