Zucchini with olive oil is one of the popular summer dishes in Turkish cuisine. Dishes with olive oil have their own place in our cuisine and mostly preferred in summer. When the name of a dish ends with “with olive oil”, it means that it doesn’t contain any kind of meat, so it’s like the way of saying that is a vegetarian dish. Another thing about olive oil dishes is that they are mostly served cold and you can drizzle extra olive oil over the dish after it is cooked and chilled. What I’m trying to say is that “olive oil” is not used just for describing the type of oil in such dishes, but it is more like cooking and serving methods. This zucchini is one of that kind and a must try for all vegetable lovers!
Although zucchini can be found in all seasons, it definitely tastes better in summer. This is a dish we make quite often in such hot weathers since it is served cold. We always need something cold in summer right? Doesn’t matter food or drink, we crave for something cold!
This is a low-calorie, light yet tasty zucchini recipe, so it could be a great diet food too! I must warn you though; this zucchini with olive oil is so delicious that you will probably want to eat more!
This is traditionally cooked this way: Saute onion with olive oil for a few minutes, add in zucchini and stir for a few minutes, add in other vegetables, season and cook for about 15 minutes. I don’t see any point in adding and stirring vegetables into pot one by one, so I created my own version for this zucchini recipe. It becomes even easier to make it in my way! I must be quicker than ever these days since I’m a mom now and I have a little boy almost always waiting for nursing!
The quickest way for cooking zucchini ever: Throw all ingredients in a pot, cover and cook for 15 minutes. It is so yummy when hot too, but I recommend it chilled.
If you’re having difficulty to find more ideas for cooking zucchini, you should check out Kalyn’s Twenty Zucchini Recipes!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 zucchinis, chopped roughly
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp pepper paste
- ¼ cup water to dissolve pepper paste
- ¼ tsp salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil, for cooking
- 2 tbsp olive oil, after chilled
- Put all vegetables in a pot in this order: onion, zucchini, tomato, green onion and garlic.
- Dissolve Pepper paste in water and pour it over veggies.
- Add in salt, black Pepper and red Pepper flakes.
- Pour vinegar and lemon juice over them.
- Add 3 tbsp olive oil and cover.
- Cook it over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Chill it at least for 30 minutes and drizzle over extra 2 tbsp olive oil.