Lentil and Spinach Soup is packed with flavors and vitamins that make it a very comforting meal for these chilly days. Combination of green lentils, spinach, tomatoes, onion, garlic, pasta and spices like cumin, chili and black pepper warms you up and keeps you away from the cold.
While my all time favorite way to use spinach is making Fried Eggs With Spinach, I make this soup quite often too. Especially when we need to warm up. If you are following a vegan diet, this lentil and spinach soup would be a perfect dinner for you! You know green lentils are a good source of iron and protein.
Although I’m not vegan, I make this soup quite often as our 2-year-old son loves it. I make some changes every time I cook it. I add some extra veggies like carrots or potatoes when I have them on hand. So you are free to make additions to your soup.
What’s more, this is one of those soups that freeze well. So you can make it in a large pot doubling the amount and freeze half of it for another busy weeknight.
I love green lentils and try to include them in my family’s diet with as many recipes as I can create. I always have some cooked green lentils in the freezer to make Green Lentil Pasta, which is a very nutritious side dish or Avocado Lentil Salad, which is a perfect fall and winter salad with spinach, mandarin and pomegranates.
This hearty lentil and spinach soup is one of the best green lentil recipes I’ve made and everyone in the family loves it so much! I call it soup, but we mostly have it as the main course pairing it with rice and green salad. If you are looking for tasty and satisfying meatless meals, you should definitely give it a try.
This lentil and spinach soup reaches perfectness with a few drops of lemon juice when serving, so don’t forget to serve some lemon slices on your dinner table.Print
Lentil and Spinach Soup
A very comforting soup with green lentils, spinach, pasta and spices.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (1/4 cup when chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 and 1/2 cups green lentils
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup pasta
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, washed well
- Lemon for serving
- In a large pot, heat olive oil and saute onion until translucent about 5 minutes. Add in tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and garlic. Saute stirring occasionally for a few minutes. If it starts to stick to the bottom of the pot, just pour 2 tablespoons of water.
- Add in lentils and spices immediately. Stir until everything combines well and pour hot water over it. Add in pasta.
- Cover and let it simmer for about 30 minutes or until lentils are tender enough, but still hold their shape.
- Add in the spinach leaves and cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with a few drops of lemon.
I don’t soak the lentils beforehand as the ones I use don’t need it, they cook really fast. If yours don’t cook that fast, it might be better to soak them for 2-3 hours.