Sekerpare is the name for semolina cookies soaked in sweet syrup. It is melting in your mouth and satisfies your sweet tooth wonderfully.
Have you seen the other Turkish foods we shared here? Sweets with syrup have an important place in our cuisine. Although baklava is the most famous one around the world, flour halvah, semolina halva and semolina cake revani are equally popular in the country.
What Is Sekerpare?
Very similar to lots of other Turkish desserts, seker pare is a type of cookies made of semolina and soaked in a sweet syrup. Sekerpare means bit of sugar in Turkish. As the name implies, shekerpare will be the best solution for you if you have difficulty to satisfy your sweet tooth.
These are basically cookies made with a combination of flour and semolina. And they are already sweet and yummy as they are, even without syrup. On the other hand, you have to try them with syrup if you have a sweet tooth that is hard to satify.
The syrup made with sugar, water and lemon juice take these simple looking cookies to another level.
How To Make
The recipe has three folds: Making the syrup, baking the cookies and combining these two.
First, make the syrup.
Pour water and sugar in a pot. Heat them until it boils. Let it boil about 15 minutes until it reaches the right consistency.
Add lemon juice and take it from the heat. Put it aside and let it cool completely.
Pro Tip: Make sure the syrup is cold while the cookies are hot.
Second, make the cookies.
Combine butter, flour, semolina, sugar, an egg and baking powder until everything holds well and you have a non-sticky dough.
Pick about a tablespoon of dough and roll them into balls. Put them in a slightly greased baking sheet leaving enough space between each as they will rise when cooked.
Place hazelnuts on their top pressing gently.
Bake them in oven for 25 minutes or until golden.
Third, combine the cookies with the syrup.
Note: I make 50 pieces from these ingredients, but pour the syrup on 25 of them as I put the other half in refrigerator to make it another time. When I have any unexpected guests, I just prepare the syrup and pour it hot on the cold cookies to serve them tasty sekerpare. Don’t forget the rule for pouring syrup on cookies for skerpare. If the cookies are hot, the syrup must be cold or vice versa.
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!
Semolina cookies soaked in sweet syrup.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 50 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Turkish
For its dough:
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup semolina
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 125g butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For its syrup:
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 and ½ cups water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- As we must let the syrup get cold before pouring it on sekerpare cookies, start with making the syrup first.
- Pour water and sugar in a pot. Heat them until it boils. Let it boil about 15 minutes until it reaches the right consistency.
- Add lemon juice and take it from the heat. Put it aside and start preparing the cookies.
- Combine butter, flour, semolina, sugar, an egg and baking powder. Knead them well.
- Preheat the oven at 180C.
- Pick walnut sized pieces from dough and roll them. Put them in an oiled baking pan leaving enough space between each as they will rise when cooked.
- Place hazelnuts on their top pressing gently. Cook them in oven for 25 minutes until golden.
- Pour the syrup when the cookies are still hot. You can pour it with a ladle on each piece. Wait until the cookies absorb the water.
- You can serve it with black tea.
These cookies freeze well without the syrup. So you can store half of the cookies in the freezer after they cool completely. When you want to turn them into sheqerpare dessert, thaw them first. Make the syrup, pour the hot syrup over cold cookies and let them absorb the syrup.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 91
- Sugar: 10.1 g
- Sodium: 2.6 mg
- Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.4 g
- Protein: 1.1 g
- Cholesterol: 9.1 mg
Keywords: semolina cookies, sekerpare, sheqerpare recipe