This easy Cream of Potato Soup warms your heart perfectly on chilly days. Simple yet flavourful and comforting. Super creamy without cream, so it's lighter and healthier.
Is it cold in your area too? Although I feel more like a summer person, there are reasons why I love winter too. For one thing, I have comforting soups like this Cream of Potato Soup often, even for lunch or dinner on its own. Believe it or not, soups make one of my favorite breakfast foods as well when it is cold in the early morning. Another reason is I bake more during winter months, which you already know.
Obviously I cook a lot of soup. The colder the weather, the warmer our kitchen thanks to the soup simmering on the stove. Mostly a simple Turkish Lentil Soup because it requires no effort at all. Tomato Rice Chicken Soup when we plan to have it as dinner on its own. We do have a flavorsome smooth soup as well, like this Cream of Potato Soup or Cream of Broccoli Soup. I love them all.
What makes a soup comforting and tasty? Besides the ingredients we use to make a soup, I think the topping is equally important. Isn't it great that you can make your own creations on your soup. Chopped green onions, fresh spinach leaves, simit croutons and aged-beef are on my cream of potato soup today. What to use to garnish your soup is totally up to you, but I must tell you that mine makes a perfect combination of flavors in the soup.
We sometimes love it with a little chopped fresh dill or another herb and ground black pepper. Make sure you squeeze lemon in your bowl if you love your soup tangy.
Note: We made this potato soup today with an addition of stock, so we added 3 cups water and 2 cups chicken stock. It was absolutely tasty and warming! Try it with stock to have a more flavourful and warming potato soup!
More Soup Recipes
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!
Cream of Potato Soup Recipe
A very heart-warming and flavourful potato soup.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Soup
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 5 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 cups water or chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 and ½ tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- Put chopped potatoes and onion, water or chicken stock in a deep pot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring it to boil. Simmer over medium low heat until potatoes are very soft.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat, add flour and cook for 1 minute while whisking constantly. While whisking, slowly add milk and cook, stirring constantly until mixture begins lightly bubble and thickens.
- Pour this into the pot and blend it using a blender or in a food processor.
- Serve it with your favorite soup topping.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 235
- Sugar: 7.8 g
- Sodium: 325.1 mg
- Fat: 7.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.6 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 20.2 mg
Keywords: potato soup recipe, cream of potato soup