If you want to make something fancy for the special person in your life, but have no baking experience, this Red Velvet Bundt Cake with kefir is for you. Beautiful looking with the silky cream cheese glaze yet easy to make.
You don’t need to wait until Valentine’s Day to make something red velvet, right? Wouldn’t you feel spoiled and extra special if you saw a red velvet bundt cake like this waiting for you on the table? I mean it’s a great way to show how significant a person is for you. It could be anyone that touches your life and don’t wait for one particular day to do so.
I made this red velvet bundt cake for a close friend of mine last year and she said she was the happiest person in the world. The joy in her eyes when she saw the cake was worth seeing. It was summertime, so I used fresh mulberries because my friend was a big fan of these berries. They complemented the beauty of the cake perfectly. I think any berry will give the same result. Use whatever you have on hand.
Personally, I love anything red velvet. They are like pulling me into a different world full of peace and love. Who wouldn’t be mesmerized by this beautiful cake or Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies, which are always a hit on holidays?
This is an easy red velvet bundt cake with a silky cream cheese glaze. The glaze is so yummy on its own, so you might want to double or even triple the measurement for it and pour some extra on your slice of cake. It is a simple pudding mom used to make us when growing up. I must tell mom that my addition of cheese takes it to the next level. I use mascarpone in this recipe because that was what we had in the fridge when I made the cake, but you can use cream cheese as well.
I’m sure this is the only red velvet bundt cake recipe that calls for semolina. I’ll be honest here. It wasn’t on what I had planned before making the cake. I decided to use it when I just noticed that there was no more flour left in my pantry. You know what? It worked perfectly as the substitute for flour. What’s more, it helps the cake turn out moist. However, it’s not a must. I mean if you can’t find it, skip it and just use all purpose flour as you always do.
More Red Velvet Recipes
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!
Red Velvet Bundt Cake
Red velvet bundt cake with semolina and kefir, glazed with a simple pudding with mascarpone.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 14 1x
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Red Velvet Cake:
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup semolina
- 1 and ½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup kefir
- 4 medium eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 and ½ tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons mascarpone
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a bundt pan well.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, semolina, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa. Set aside.
- In a large mixng bowl, whisk together oil, kefir and eggs.
- Add in the dry mixture gradually. Mix with a spatula until combined.
- Stir in the food coloring, vinegar and vanilla extract.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Let it cool and prepare the glaze.
- Put everything except mascarpone in a small pot and cook over medium low heat, stirring continuously until it boils.
- Bring the heat to the lowest and cook until thickens a bit. It’s a glaze, so it shouldn’t be too thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in the mascarpone. Let it cool for about 10 minutes. Don’t wait a lot; otherwise it gets thicker. Pour it over the cake and wait until it sets. Then top the cake with your favorite berries (I used mulberries).
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 267
- Sugar: 20.3 g
- Sodium: 327.7 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 39.8 g
- Protein: 6.3 g
- Cholesterol: 61.8 mg
Keywords: red velvet bundt cake, red velvet cake