This Almond Milk Hot Chocolate is naturally sweetened and perfectly creamy and rich. It is made with only 4 ingredients that are completely vegan. Way healthier and tastier than store bought powdered mixes. This is the best homemade hot chocolate that is loved by everyone including non-vegans.
We love using almond milk in cooking. Have you seen our almond milk crepes recipe? It is one of our favorites!
We all know the relaxing and warming effect of chocolate. Who would say no to a cup of hot chocolate when it is really cold outside? Have you ever tried making it at home? Believe it or not, you can easily make a healthy and dairy-free yet tasty version of it just in 10 minutes. Plus, you can customize it to your liking.
This vegan hot chocolate is a great treat on its own but you can always pair it with a slice of vegan pumpkin cinnamon rolls too.
We need 4 ingredients to make this creamy and velvety chocolate drink:
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Cinnamon powder
- Pure maple syrup or agave
Pro Tip: Any plant-based milk such as soy milk, coconut milk, rice milk or cashew milk works fine.
Would you like some garnish on your chocolate? This part is totally up to you, but highly recommmended. My two favorite toppings are:
- Coconut oil
- Shredded coconut flakes
Some other alternative toppings might be:
- Shaved chocolate
- Dairy-free whipped cream
- Mini marshmallows (if you want to spoil yourself a bit more)
Is hot cocoa healthy?
Unsweetened cocoa powder is known as one of those powerful antioxidants. However, whether hot cocoa is healthy or not depends on what it contains. The vegan hot cocoa recipe I’m sharing with you here is healthy because it is dairy-free and sugar-free. It is made with almond milk and sweetened with pure maple syrup.
Almond milk is a healthier alternative to regular milk, which is hard to digest. As for the maple syrup, it is plant-based and a healthier option. Yet, be careful about the amount you are adding. You don’t want an overly sweet drink if you are concerned about your health.
Is almond milk healthy?
Yes, it is healthy. For one thing, almond milk doesn’t contain lactose, which is the main cause of milk allergies. Next, it is rich in good fats and vitamin E. Also, it is low in calories and sugar. So it is a great alternative to regular cow milk for vegans and for those with allergies. You can even use it to make your own vegan buttermilk.
If you have time, make your own almond milk to get the healthiest result because it is fresh and you know the quality of almonds you are using. If you have to buy it, then pick unsweetened almond milk.
Almond milk is a dairy-free milk made from almonds and it goes very well with cocoa powder. You can easily heat it, so you can make your hot chocolate with it. Tell you what? Hot chocolate with almond milk is creamier and tastier than with cow milk. What is more, it is easy to digest, so you can drink it as much as you want.
How to make
There are two methods of making this recipe:
First, pour almond milk in a microwave-safe mug and microwave on high for 1 minute and remove.
Second, whisk in cinnamon, cocoa powder and maple syrup until smooth. Put it back and microwave for another minute. Remove and stir it well before serving.
Finally, top your hot chocolate with a teaspoon of coconut oil and sprinkle coconut flakes before serving.
On The Stove (Easier)
First, combine everything in a saucepan. Whisk well.
Second, put it over medium high heat and cook until it boils, whisking occasionally.
Third, reduce the heat and let it simmer for a few minutes until you see foams over the top.
Finally, pour it into cups and garnish with whatever you like. I use coconut oil and shredded coconut flakes.
- Can I drink almond milk hot? Yes, you can. Just heat it in microwave or over the stove.
- Does almond milk curdle when boiled? No, it doesn’t curdle when boiled alone or with cocoa powder. However, it curdles when mixed with coffee because of the acidity of the coffee.
- Is almond milk bad if it separates? No, it is not. It is natural for almond milk. Just shake it up well and then use.
- How can I understand whether my almond milk is bad? When it smells bad and tastes sour, you can be sure that it goes bad.
- Do you have to refrigerate almond milk? Yes, keep it in the refrigerator if it is homemade almond milk. Also, do the same for opened cartons. It should be kept in the refrigerator once you open it.
- Will hot cocoa keep me awake? Just like coffee or tea, hot chocolate is not good at nights becuase it contains caffeine and keeps you awake.
- Is maple syrup vegan? Yes, it is a great vegan sweetener because it is produced from pure maple sap.
- Is chocolate vegan? Yes, it might be vegan. Cocoa is mainly a plant-based food. On the other hand, we can’t be sure whether a chocolate bar is vegan or not without reading its label. It is vegan if there aren’t any dairy products like butter, cream or milk in the ingredients list. If you are planning to top your dairy-free hot chocolate with shaved chocolate, make sure you read the ingredient label.
More Almond Milk Recipes
Other Hot Drink Recipes
You might also like:
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!
Sign up for the FREE GiveRecipe Newsletter to get the new recipes into your inbox! And stay in touch with us on Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Almond Milk Hot Chocolate
Vegan hot chocolate made with almond milk and sweetened with maple syrup.
- Prep Time: 1 minute
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 6 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Drink
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 and ½ tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 and ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon shredded coconut flakes
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Whisk until smooth.
- Put it over medium high heat and bring it to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for a few minutes until foamy.
- Share it in cups and top with coconut oil and coconut flakes.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 151
- Sugar: 9.2 g
- Sodium: 188.6 mg
- Fat: 10.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.8 g
- Protein: 2.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: almond milk hot chocolate, vegan hot chocolate, healthy hot chocolate, dairy free hot chocolate
Hot chocolate is my favorite winter drink, but always made it with cow milk. You can't imagine how much I wished to find a good vegan option. Tried this recipe and it turned out great! I added a little vanilla extract and oh it was out of this world! Thank you for the recipe!