Healthy snacks are always welcomed in our home and these Spicy Crispy Roasted Chickpeas are one of those snacks we love to munch on! If you love to devour something when watching a movie or the game of your favorite team, pop corn is not the only option you have. Open a bottle of cold beer and enjoy these spicy chickpeas with it! Kids love these too, they will probably stop begging for chips since these are as crispy as chips. You can even make small paper cones and serve the chickpeas in them, your kids and guests will feel even more special this way!
These oven-roasted chickpeas are amazingly crispy especially when they are warm and they will become a favorite of your family once they taste it. I remember we would get so excited when granny roasted chickpeas in an oven like wood stove. She would make it for the kids in the family, but we were persuaded to share it with the older ones in the family in the end!
You will be amazed when you see how easy it is to make these crispy roasted chickpeas. I boil the chickpeas myself, but you can buy canned chickpeas and maket he process even quicker and easier. I love to snack on savory foods, so I made these spicy, but you can definitely create a sweet version using sugar, cinnamon, ginger or something you have in your mind that goes well with sugar.
These are best when served warm, and they start to lose that crispiness as they get cold. They are still great when completely cold, but not as crispy as they are at the beginning, they just become like pan roasted chickpeas when cold.
You can keep these in an airtight container up to one week, but believe me they don’t stay that long!
If you don’t have time for any of these, but still would love to have a chickpeas snack, go with these Spicy Boiled Chickpeas, which are sold as a street food in my hometown.
- 2 cups boiled chickpeas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 and ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 and ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- Preheat oven at 200C.
- Using a kitchen towel or paper towel, pat dry the chickpeas until they are completely dry.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and put the chickpeas on it.
- Roast them in oven for 15 minutes.
- Take them from the oven, but don’t leave the oven open.
- Drizzle olive oil on the chickpeas and mix them around with your hands so that they are all evenly coated.
- Sprinkle salt, chili and cumin and repeat the same step. Make sure they are all evenly coated with these spices.
- Place back in the oven and roast for another 15 minutes.
- They are the best when they are still warm, but you can servet hem cold too.