Forget about all the chocolate chip cookies you have eaten and try these Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies. Yes, these are that good! Made without butter. Tahini takes the place of butter in this recipe. These cookies are chewy, wonderfully nutty, packed with chocolate chips and slightly flavored with ground Turkish coffee. Sea salt on their top makes the final amazing touch.
If you are looking for alternatives to classic chocolate chip cookies, go check out our Olive Oil Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe too!
Looking at the ingredients, you might find this recipe a bit complicated. But it is definitely not. Just like all other chocolate chip cookie recipes, combine the ingredients in a mixing ball, scoop the cookie dough on a baking sheet and bake.
Oh did I tell you that there is no need for chilling the dough in this tahini cookie recipe? One more reason to try it ASAP!
No Butter Chocolate Chip Tahini Cookies
You’ve heard it right. There is no butter in this recipe. Tahini is a great substitute for butter in easy cookie recipes like this. Using tahini makes the process even easier. No need to wait for the butter to melt or soften. Just mix the tahini with the other ingredients.
You will be absolutely amazed when you get the first bite. You won’t even notice there is no butter in these cookies. Tahini works perfectly in place of butter.
Looking for a vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe? Go check out our Turkish Vegan Tahini Cookies.
What Is Tahini?
Tahini is a sesame paste that is world widely known as a staple ingredient in every hummus recipe. It is a Middle Eastern ingredient which has a lot more usages than hummus. Similar to other nut pastes like peanut butter and almond butter, tahini is full of vitamins and good oils. It is a good source of calcium and protein. Thus, tahini is a good ingredient for a vegan diet.
On the other hand, the texture of tahini is much thinner than peanut butter, so it is perfect for making sauces and vegan salad dressings.
Also, if you are allergic to peanuts, use tahini as a substitute for peanut butter.
As for the taste, tahini has a nutty and earthy taste. So it is mostly mixed with other foods and not eaten on its own.
Tip: A quality tahini doesn’t have a bitter taste. There are lots of tahini brands around, so try to find the best one. A good tahini is creamy, light and with a nice nutty flavor.
In Turkish cuisine, tahini is identified with grape molasses called pekmez. They are mixed together in a bowl and served as a breakfast food. Tahin and pekmez are one of the best couples, just like peanut butter and jelly.
About The Ingredients For Chocolate Tahini Cookies
- Use a good quality tahini (creamy ant definitely not bitter)
- We use just regular sugar, but you can use a combination of brown sugar and granulated sugar, which will result in browner cookies.
- Turkish coffee in these cookies matches very well with the flavors of tahini and chocolate. Although we use it in a little amount, it helps a lot for that “Omg!” moment. If you can’t find Turkish coffee, you can use any finely ground coffee. But we’d recommend that you make some effort to find it, using online markets maybe.
- We love to chop a bar of dark chocolate and use them in cookies because they are better in taste and texture. But you can definitely use regular chocolate chips too.
- Use sea salt or flaky salt for the topping. These give the best result for salted chocolate chip cookies.
How To Make Salted Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
This is an easy cookie recipe because everything goes into a large bowl and then scooped on a baking sheet. And no chilling is required!
- First, whisk together tahini and sugar using a hand whisk.You will get a crumbly mixture.
- Second, mix in the egg. You will get a smooth mixture.
- Third, whisk in salt.
- Fourth, using a spatula, add in flour, baking soda and Turkish coffee. Stir until everything holds together. It will look a bit dry and a bit hard to stir, but everything will hold in a few minutes. You can make this step using your hand if you find it easier.
- Next, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Now scoop a tablespoon of cookie dough on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes in a 350F/170C preheated oven.
- Finally, remove from the oven and sprinkle flaky sea salt over each when they are still hot. You can even place extra chocolate chips if you want more chocolate on your cookies.
- After two minutes, transfer them on a cooling rack.
How To Store These No Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
You can keep these in an airtight container for 3- 4 days at room temperature. Also, you can keep the unbaked dough in the refrigerator for a week or in the freezer for two months.
More Recipes With Tahini
- Tahini Fresh Fig Dessert Recipe
- Vegan Tahini Ice Cream
- Vegan Potato Salad Recipe
- Easy Tahini Rolls
- Best Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad With Tahini
- Brown Rice and Vegetables with White Bean Tahini Sauce
As always: If you make this recipe–or any recipes on Give Recipe–let us know what you think by leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!Print
Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies Without Butter
Chocolate chip cookies with tahini and Turkish coffee. No butter. Wonderfully chewy and nutty.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 24 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup (120ml) tahini
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Turkish coffee
- 1/2 cup (75g) dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or flaky salt for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F/170C.
- Combine the first two using a hand whisk or an electric mixer. You will get a crumbly mixture.
- Mix in the egg.
- Whisk in salt.
- Using a spatula, add in flour, baking soda and Turkish coffee. Stir until everything holds together. (It will look a bit dry, so a bit hard to stir, but everything will hold in a few minutes)
- Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Scoop a tablespoon of dough and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- remove from the oven and sprinkle flaky sea salt over each when they are still hot. You can even place extra chocolate chips if you want more chocolate on your cookies.
- After two minutes, transfer them on a cooling rack.
Keywords: tahini cookies, salted tahini cookies, tahini chocolate chip cookies, no butter chocolate chip cookies