This Skinny Zucchini Casserole recipe is skinny but absolutely not a boring diet food. Even zucchini haters will love this tasty casserole! Serve it for lunch or as a side for dinner. You'll miss it even in winter!
What comes to your mind when you see the title of this post? Another boring diet food that has a nice photo? You will have to apologize to this Skinny Zucchini Casserole recipe for thinking that way once you have the first bite.
I promise, it will become one of your favorite summer treats before you realize. You can pair it with fresh shepherd’s salad or cacik, which is a cold dip made of yogurt and cucumber to have the great flavors of summer.
As a child, I remember zucchini was one of the vegetables I didn't enjoy eating. I never refused to eat a meal made by mom, I wasn't that kind of kid. However, there were a few foods that I found really tasteless. I can't even tell you how zucchini has become my favorite summer vegetable now. I LOVE to create recipes with it!
About The Ingredients
It is a low calorie recipe, that’s right. But it doesn’t mean that it is tasteless and unappealing. On the contrary, even zucchini haters will love this amazingly tasty, yet skinny zucchini casserole recipe.
For one thing, it doesn’t contain any oil or butter. I just used ½ tablespoon butter to grease the pan. I used a few simple ingredients for this incredibly yummy zucchini casserole. When someone sees and wants to make this recipe, there is no need to go for shopping. These are some very basic ingredients that I’m sure you always have in your kitchen.
Besides zucchinis, you mainly need 2 eggs and a little cornmeal and breadcrumbs, which will help the grated zucchini hold together. Also, to make this casserole that tasty, you need a little cheese and black pepper.
I used just a few tablespoons of kasar cheese, which is a Turkish type of cheese but mozzarella or parmesan works fine too. If you are a fan of cheese in your casserole recipes, go check out our cheesy zucchini casserole too!
Personally, I feel that black pepper is a must for this recipe. You will agree with me when that very tempting smell of zucchini and black pepper fills in your home when baking. Black pepper is one of the ingredients here which saves this casserole from being boring.
This zucchini casserole recipe is healthy and full of flavor with a wonderful golden crust. I used a combination of cornmeal and breadcrumbs and kasar cheese to have this yummy crust. You can use just cornmeal and leave out breadcrumbs if you have a gluten-free diet.
More Zucchini Recipes
As always: If you make this recipe–or any recipes on Give Recipe–let us know what you think by rating and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!Print
Skinny Zucchini Casserole Recipe
A very tasty zucchini casserole flavored with black pepper and a little cheese.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- ½ tablespoon butter for the pan (you can use a cooking spray instead)
- 3 and ½ cups grated zucchini
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs, optional
- 4 tablespoons grated mozzarella, kasar cheese or parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Grease a baking pan with butter.
- Place the grated zucchini on a cheesecloth and squeeze as much liquid as you can. See the video above for this.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Add in the zucchini, black pepper and salt. Stir until combined well. Add in 1 tablespoon cheese and give it a good stir.
- Pour this mixture into the baking pan and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle cornmeal and breadcrumbs and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove it from oven, top with the remaining cheese. Make small holes with a knife and bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Serve warm.
Keywords: zucchini casserole, vegetarian zucchini casserole