Watermelon Feta Mint Salad with red onion is a super refreshing summertime recipe. The simple balsamic dressing in this unexpected combination of flavors takes the salad to the next level. Perfect for BBQs and outdoor meals, too!
There are several reasons why summer is my favorite season, but I think summer food is on top of the list. Among all fresh veggies and fruit, watermelon has the most important role in our home. I remember I would almost live on chilled watermelon alone during summer months as a child. Mom wouldn’t even bother peeling or chopping it, she would just give me a big slice and I would gobble it up, leaving its rind for sure. I knew it wasn’t the cleanest way to eat watermelon, but I found it more fun when the watermelon juice ran down my elbows.
I think my current love of watermelon feta salad goes back to those years. I can’t think of a better dish when I have no time to prepare lunch or dinner. Sweet, savory, refreshing and creamy flavors are all in one dish. Believe it or not, we happily enjoy this amazing salad even at breakfast. It is a staple in our home during the summer season.
I didn’t tell anyone that I used a new watermelon salad recipe when I served it as a side dish at dinner the other day. Sweet watermelon, salty feta, refreshing mint, tangy balsamic, crunchy and bittersweet onion make the most unexpected, yet super tasty combination of flavors.
Oh I almost forgot to mention the black pepper. Don’t ever think of leaving it out because it complements all the flavors in the salad. Besides, it gives a subtle spicy touch that results in the best Watermelon Feta Mint Salad you will ever have.
If you are one of those rare people who have never tried watermelon feta salad, the first thing you should know is to buy a good watermelon.
Tips For Buying Watermelon
- If you know almost nothing about the fruit, the best method is to taste it before you buy. You need to go to the local farmer's market to have this chance. Also, farmers are willing to help you pick a ripe watermelon.
- If you don’t have this option, you need to take over the job. To understand whether a watermelon is ripe enough, go for the classic method that farmers always apply. Tap it and try to understand the sound. It is ripe if the sound is deep and almost echoes. Avoid the watermelons that sound dull.
- Try to pick the heavy ones for their size. Big and lighter watermelons are not ripe or sweet enough.
About This Recipe
- It’s better to crumble the feta over the top of the salad. If you toss it with the other ingredients in the bowl, it gets too crumbly.
- I recommend that you chill the watermelon beforehand. The salad tastes even more refreshing this way.
- There is no salt in this salad recipe as the feta has already a salty flavor.
- Besides feta cheese or as an alternative to it, you can use grilled halloumi cheese in this salad.
More Recipes With Feta
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!
Watermelon Feta Mint Salad
A refreshing watermelon salad with a super tasty balsamic dressing.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 and ½ lbs cubed watermelon (about 5 cups)
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup mint, thinly sliced (or whole if small leaves)
- ½ teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- ½ cup Simply Dressed Balsamic Salad Dressing
- Put watermelon cubes in a large serving bowl.
- Top it with onion slices, crumbled feta and chopped mint.
- Sprinkle black pepper over these, drizzle with balsamic salad dressing or vinegar.
- Give it a gentle stir and serve.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 638
- Sugar: 24.5 g
- Sodium: 876 mg
- Fat: 53.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Protein: 11.2 g
- Cholesterol: 73.6 mg
Keywords: watermelon salad, watermelon feta salad