Do you have leftover rice? Turn it into a wonderful breakfast next morning by making this Sweet Rice Porridge Recipe! Don’t have cooked rice? So easy to make it from scratch too!
Do you remember the Turkish Savory Rice Porridge Lapa I shared with you here a while ago? This one is like the sweet version of it. The method is almost the same. Unlike that savory version, this sweet rice porridge recipe calls for milk when cooking the rice. Plus, the topping is completely different. As you can guess, it has a sweet topping that is totally up to your taste. Here, I’m sharing my favorite way of flavoring it: With orange jam, cinnamon and nuts.
Although it’s not a traditional Turkish dish, I make it often with different toppings whenever we have leftover rice or when I feel too lazy to make my favorite Baked Rice Pudding Recipe. Believe it or not, I wasn’t aware that this is an actual recipe that is made by others around the world too. Have you ever heard of Jamaican rice porridge recipe? My recipe is very similar to it. It was quite amazing for me to find out this piece of information. I just thought that it is my way of using up leftover rice with a sweet twist.
How To Make Sweet Rice Porridge Recipe
There are three parts in this easy rice porridge recipe.
First, cook the rice uncovered with water over the lowest heat until it’s creamy. Don’t forget to stir occasionally.
Second, pour milk over the cooked rice and bring it to boil. Then let it simmer until thickens a bit.
Third, pour the porridge into bowls, top with orange jam or whatever jam you like. Garnish with fresh citrus fruit (I used kumquats), nuts (I used almonds) and cinnamon.
Notes About This Porridge Recipe
- No need to soak the rice beforehand. It cooks really well when simmered over low heat for a while, about 30 minutes.
- If you have leftover rice or cooked rice, the recipe gets even easier. Skip the first part and continue with the second step.
- I use regular white rice to make porridge, but you can use brown rice or black rice too. They will just take longer to cook. Don’t like rice? You can use oats just like Monique did in her Healthy Carrot Cake Porridge recipe.
- I don’t use any sweeteners when cooking the rice because I top it with jam. If you are not planning to top it with jam, use a sweetener like sugar, maple syrup or honey. Another option could be adding mashed banana to your porridge after it is cooked. Adjust the sweetness to your taste.
- How to garnish your porridge is completely up to you. I love to add some fresh fruit on mine. Citrus fruit perfectly balance the flavors in the bowl. You can use whatever fruit you have on hand. Bananas or berries would be great too.
- The same for nuts. I used almonds here, but I sometimes use walnuts, hazelnuts, pistachios or all of them together. Feel free to use your favorite.
Is This The Same As Jamaican Rice Porridge Recipe?
Almost. Unlike the Jamaican version, I don’t add any sugar when cooking rice. The sweetness from the jam on the top is just enough for me, but you can add some sugar or its substitutes if you are not planning to top it with something sweet.
Other than this, I guess these two porridge recipes are the same. I don’t have any roots in Jamaica, so I’m not a hundred percent sure. Please let me know using the comments section below if you know anything about it and want to compare two recipes.
Can I Make This Rice Porridge Recipe Vegan?
Yes! Substitute a plant based milk like almond milk or coconut milk for cow milk in this recipe.Print
Sweet Rice Porridge Recipe
A sweet rice porridge that can be a healthy and tasty breakfast or dessert.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups milk
Topping for each bowl
- 1 tablespoon orange jam
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chopped almonds
- Sliced kumquats
- Bring water to boil in a pot and add in the rice.
- Cook over medium low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Bring it to the lowest heat and let it simmer until the rice is tender.
- Pour in the milk and bring it to boil over medium low heat.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest and let it simmer until thickens and gets creamy.
- Share the porridge in bowls. Top with jam, cinnamon, almonds and kumquats. Serve warm or cold.
Keywords: rice porridge, rice porridge recipe, porridge recipe