Do you like rice pudding? It is one of the simplest cold desserts to satisfy your sweet tooth in summer. You just need 3 ingredients to make an easy rice pudding: milk, rice and sugar. This creamy pudding is a perfect treat even plain, but you can turn it into an elegant dessert by adding some extra ingredients like nuts, fresh or dried fruit, lemon zest or orange zest.
Mom would make it very often when I was a kid, and I would never get bored of eating it! Depending on the season, she would add a new ingredient every time she made it. She would add dried fruit in this sweet rice pudding in winter like raisins, dried apricots or figs and she would top it with fresh fruit like strawberries, melon slices or other summer fruit. She would even top it with ice cream, but not as often as I’d like! Knowing the simple version of sweet rice pudding, you can create your own dessert with the ingredient you add into it!
We call it sutlac in Turkish and there are two main versions of sweet rice pudding in Turkish cuisine; Oven Baked Rice Pudding and stove cooked rice pudding. Oven baked version is a bit more difficult, but it’s worth. Its slightly burned top is to die for! This one doesn’t have many varieties unlike the one cooked on stove. It is mostly baked in mini clay pots and topped with hazelnuts or pistachio.
Mom is with us now helping us with our baby and she’s constantly making rice pudding saying that it increases the amount and the quality of breast milk. If I eat it everyday as mom wants, I’m sure it increases my weight too! I don’t have any problems with the production of my breast milk, so I think it works besides the other foods and drinks mom wants me to have.
She made it with raisins and orange zest this time since this combination is one of my favorites. You can add your favorite fruit instead.
See our other chocolate recipe videos here:
Simple Turkish Rice Pudding
Sweet creamy rice pudding for summer!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6
- ½ cup rice
- 1 kilo milk
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tbsp grated orange zest, a little extra for topping
- 2 tbsp raisins
- Put water and rice in a pot and boil until rice becomes slightly tender.
- Pour 1 kilo milk into it and boil until rice is cooked well.
- Add in sugar when rice is cooked and cook for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- It is done when it becomes creamy.
- Add in raisins and orange zest and mix with a spoon.
- Share it into small bowls and let it reach room temperature.
- Sprinkle some extra orange zest on the top.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour and serve cold.