Pumpkin Lentil Soup is for those who don’t like the sweet flavor of pumpkin in their soup. Sweet soups are not loved much in my family, so I found the best way to make a savory pumpkin soup.
I combined Homemade Pumpkin Puree with red lentils and potatoes. I ended up with this amazingly yummy and velvety soup that is perfect for fall and winter.
If you are having chilly fall evenings, nothing could be better than starting your dinner with a comforting soup like this Pumpkin Lentil Soup. If you are feeling under the weather, my number one suggestion is still Tomato Chicken Rice Soup, which is the best cold soothing soup. If you don’t have any problems with cold and just looking for super tasty soup recipes to warm your heart on a chilly fall evening, give this hearty pumpkin lentil soup a try.
Although it doesn’t have any chicken or meat stock, this is a rich, healthy and nutritious soup. Unlike most pumpkin soup recipes on the web which are calling for cream, this Pumpkin Lentil Soup doesn’t need it. This is a completely vegan and gluten free pumpkin soup with deep Turkish undertones.
Have you ever tried Turkish Red Lentil Soup? Please check my recipe out and you will understand what I mean better. I used dried mint, cumin and black pepper, which are all staples of typical lentil soup in our cuisine. I recommend you not to skip any of these spices when making this soup to have exactly the same heart warming result.
This is such a hearty soup that it can be served as a meal on its own. It is made with potatoes, onions, red lentils, pumpkin and spices, so what can go wrong with that soup? Oh and I shouldn’t forget to mention lemon juice, which gives a subtle zesty flavor to the soup and thus makes it even tastier.
I used roasted and pureed pumpkin for this soup, but if you don’t have it in hand and don’t have time to make it, you can just saute chopped pumpkin with potatoes.
To make the soup even more attractive and with more vitamins, I garnished it with pomegranates and chopped green onions. These are optional, but highly recommended.
More pumpkin soup recipes I’d love to try:
Pumpkin and Yellow Pepper Soup on Devour
Vegan Creamy Pumpkin Soup on Avocado Pesto
Spiced Pumpkin and Coconut Milk Soup on Dance of Saucepans
Seasonal Pumpkin Soup on The Holistic Manicurist
Curried Root Veg Soup with Beet Crisps on The Little Plantation
Pumpkin Lentil Soup
Spicy pumpkin lentil soup with potatoes and onions. Totally vegan and glutenfree.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 and 1/2 tablespoons red lentils
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion for garnish
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and chopped onions in it. Saute for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Add in potatoes and lentils. Season with freshly ground black pepper, dried mint, cumin and salt. Saute for another 1 minute, stirring continually.
- Add in pumpkin puree and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Pour water into the pot and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until everything is tender, uncovered.
- Take it from stove and use a blender to puree the soup until smooth.
- Add in lemon juice and simmer it for another 5 minutes. If it gets too thick, you can add extra hot soup at this step.
- Serve it in bowls. Wait for a few minutes after pouring it to bowls and then garnish with pomegranates and chopped green onion. Otherwise they immediately sink.
If you don’t have pumpkin puree, you can use 3/4 cup chopped pumpkin and saute it with potatoes.