Pumpkin Red Lentil Soup is for those who don’t like the sweet flavor of pumpkin in their soup. Sweet soups are not loved much in my family, so I found the best way to make a savory pumpkin soup.
I combined Homemade Pumpkin Puree with red lentils and potatoes. I ended up with this amazingly yummy and velvety soup that is perfect for fall and winter.
If you are having chilly fall evenings, nothing could be better than starting your dinner with a comforting soup like this Pumpkin Lentil Soup. If you are feeling under the weather, my number one suggestion is still Tomato Chicken Soup, which is the best cold soothing soup. If you don’t have any problems with cold and just looking for super tasty soup recipes to warm your heart on a chilly fall evening, give this hearty pumpkin lentil soup a try.
Although it doesn’t have any chicken or meat stock, this is a rich, healthy and nutritious soup. Unlike most pumpkin soup recipes on the web which are calling for cream, this Pumpkin Lentil Soup doesn’t need it. This is a completely vegan and gluten free pumpkin soup with deep Turkish undertones.
Have you ever tried Vegan Turkish Red Lentil Soup? Please check my recipe out and you will understand what I mean better. I used dried mint, cumin and black pepper, which are all staples of typical lentil soup in our cuisine. I recommend you not to skip any of these spices when making this soup to have exactly the same heart warming result.
This is such a hearty soup that it can be served as a meal on its own. It is made with potatoes, onions, red lentils, pumpkin and spices, so what can go wrong with that soup? Oh and I shouldn’t forget to mention lemon juice, which gives a subtle zesty flavor to the soup and thus makes it even tastier.
I used roasted and pureed pumpkin for this soup, but if you don’t have it in hand and don’t have time to make it, you can just saute chopped pumpkin with potatoes.
To make the soup even more attractive and with more vitamins, I garnished it with pomegranates and chopped green onions. These are optional, but highly recommended.
More Lentil Soup Recipes
- Lentil Bulgur Wheat Soup
- Creamy Red Lentil And Spinach Soup Recipe
- Pasta and Green Lentil Spinach Soup
More Pumpkin Soup Recipes
- Pumpkin and Yellow Pepper Soup on Devour
- Vegan Creamy Pumpkin Soup on Avocado Pesto
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!
Sign up for the FREE GiveRecipe Newsletter to get the new recipes into your inbox! And stay in touch with us on Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Creamy Pumpkin Red Lentil Soup
Spicy pumpkin lentil soup with potatoes and onions. Totally vegan and glutenfree.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 and ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 and ½ tablespoons red lentils
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 and ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion for garnish
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and chopped onions in it. Saute for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Add in potatoes and lentils. Season with freshly ground black pepper, dried mint, cumin and salt. Saute for another 1 minute, stirring continually.
- Add in pumpkin puree and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Pour water into the pot and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until everything is tender, uncovered.
- Take it from stove and use a blender to puree the soup until smooth.
- Add in lemon juice and simmer it for another 5 minutes. If it gets too thick, you can add extra hot soup at this step.
- Serve it in bowls. Wait for a few minutes after pouring it to bowls and then garnish with pomegranates and chopped green onion. Otherwise they immediately sink.
If you don’t have pumpkin puree, you can use ¾ cup chopped pumpkin and saute it with potatoes.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 255
- Sugar: 5.7 g
- Sodium: 918.4 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 45.6 g
- Protein: 7.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: pumpkin soup, lentil pumpkin soup
Hello, please let me know how many serving is the recipe for.
The recipe is for 4-6 people depending on the size of your bowls.
Liz @ Ready to Yumble says
This soup looks so beautiful! I'd eat it based on the colors alone!
Great flavors in this beautiful soup. Love that color.
Thank you Pam! Our favorite in fall and winter.
Great idea! great photos ! keep on rockin' !
Thank you!You're so kind.
i tried a delicious salat in cracow, at a jewish restaurant, and i would
love to make it. can anyone help me to find the recipe for it?
going to make this soup! i love hokkaido pumpkins and am
eager now to try this recipe! thanks!
Thalia @ butter and brioche says
What a delicious soup! Loving the bright colour especially. Never tried a pumpkin soup with lentils before, so I definitely need to give the recipe a go. Thanks for sharing it!
Katie (The Muffin Myth) says
This is a such a beautiful soup! I'm not much for sweet soups either, so the combination of pumpkin and lentils sounds really lovely. Lentils also make it such a hearty and nutritious soup. Thanks for the recipe!