Why don’t you prepare a wonderful sandwich for lunch today? This Healthy Egg Salad Sandwich without mayo seriously tastes amazing. A summertime classic in our home.
I’m starting a No-Mayo Salad Recipe Series today. You are going to see a salad recipe without mayonnaise every Wednesday for 6 weeks. Hey weight watchers! I’m sure you will be interested in these recipes. We don’t want to get extra calories, right? I’ll try to show you that it’s possible to create calorie-friendly yet super tasty salads without mayonnaise. So the first recipe of this series is this Healthy Egg Salad Sandwich.
We love to have salad for lunch during summer when it is too hot to cook and eat heavy meals. When I tell you that we LOVE salad for lunch, please don’t think of tasteless salads. We’ve created several salads that are so exciting since the beginning of summer like Chicken Cabbage Salad with Basil and Kumquats.
Personally I don’t like mayonnaise in everything. In fact I hardly ever eat it because Greek yogurt is a wonderful substitute for me. Why do people use it in lots of food as if it was something they have to? You can’t call it a salad when you add a generous amount of mayonnaise in it. At least not in my dictionary. I have to admit though I enjoy dipping my french fries into a mixture of mayonnaise and ketchup once or twice a year, especially in summer when enjoying my cold beer. Also, it’s something in my mind to make mayonnaise from scratch one day for those rare occasions and I’ll follow Sue’s instructions in her 30-Second Mayonnaise Recipe when that day comes.
On the other hand, Greek yogurt, which is also called “strained yogurt”, surpasses mayonnaise in terms of two things: Flavor and health benefits. I love its tangy taste in salads much more than mayo. Plus, it’s a healthier option. So why don’t we use Greek yogurt when we can?
You can find Greek yogurt at markets, they even have the low-fat and non-fat options. This is the easy and quick way. If you are crazy enough though and want to make your own Greek yogurt, you should have a look at our Super Thick Homemade Greek Yogurt post.
Did I tell you how much I love eggs before? I can’t think of a day without eggs! It’s not just a coincidence that this healthy egg salad sandwich has become a classic in our home this summer. It the best treat after a tiring shooting as it doesn’t require any effort and is ready in 10 minutes.
To prepare the salad, we just boil the eggs and easily combine them with Greek yogurt and whatever we have on hand. So this recipe is quite versatile and you can make changes on the ingredients in this recipe. Just don’t leave the Greek yogurt out! It both gives a nice creaminess to the salad and adds more protein to your salad.
Another ingredient I love in my healthy egg sandwich is walnut. Its nutty flavor perfectly balances the tangy flavor of yogurt. Besides, it makes your salad even healthier and more filling.
It’s my husband’s idea to add mustard in the salad mixture, so we add just half teaspoon of mustard to jazz up the salad a little, but it’s completely optional.
- Make sure the eggs completely cool down before combining it with yogurt because yogurt doesn’t like heat. It curdles really fast otherwise and you won’t want it.
- I wouldn’t suggest that you keep the salad in the refrigerator for days. Eggs lose not only their flavor but also their health benefits when they wait for long hours.
- If you want to make your salad even skinnier, you can leave one yolk out and add the white only but I love them together.
- To give a wonderful summery feeling, we served our sandwich the other day with watermelon slices on the side. If you are on a diet, cut your watermelon slices thinner.
- If you decide to add mustard too, be careful with the amount because it’s high in sodium, which might cause health problems.
Other Sandwich Recipes
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!
Sign up for the FREE GiveRecipe Newsletter to get the new recipes into your inbox! And stay in touch with us on Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Healthy Egg Salad Sandwich
An egg salad sandwich without mayonnaise that is so tasty and filling. Greek yogurt, cucumber and walnuts make all the difference.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Sandwich
- Cuisine: American
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt, low-fat if desired
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon whole grain mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon walnut, crumbled
- 2 whole grain bread slices, for 2 open faced sandwiches
- A handful of parsley
- 1 tablespoon red onion slices
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill
- 2 walnuts, crumbled
- Cherry tomatoes and watermelon, optional
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, salti cumin, black pepper and fresh dill.
- Add in diced hard-boiled eggs, cucumber and green pepper. Stir to combine.
- Place parsley leaves on bread slices and put the salad it. Garnish with onion slics, fresh dill and walnuts. Serve with cherry tomatoes and watermelon.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 1413
- Sugar: 12.5 g
- Sodium: 1081.2 mg
- Fat: 117.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.6 g
- Protein: 61.4 g
- Cholesterol: 1019.2 mg
Keywords: egg salad sandwich
Leave a Reply