Chicken and Potatoes with Tomato Sauce is one of those favorite family dishes. This is just another specialty of mom. I used to ask mom to make it every weekend and I remember how all family members gobbled it down. This is one of the best comforting chicken dishes I know and I really don’t understand why I didn’t share it earlier. This is a satisfaction guaranteed chicken recipe. I’m quite sure that everyone in the family will ask for it again very soon since they can’t easily forget the scrumptious taste of it.
If you still can’t decide on a recipe to make it your fall favorite, try this Chicken and Potatoes with Tomato Sauce and you will stop searching. Although Roasted Chicken with Pumpkin sounds like a better fall recipe, I think potatoes are the best vegetables to pair with chicken. I sometimes roast them together in oven, sometimes I cook them together in one pot over stove and the result is always a tasty hearty dinner. To be honest, their combination in this recipe is my favorite of all time. The flavors are very well blended and you never feel sorry for eating more than you normally can eat.
One of the best things about the recipe for Chicken and Potatoes with Tomato Sauce is that potatoes and chicken are cooked in the same skillet. Potatoes are slightly fried in the skillet and removed. Then chicken pieces are placed in the same skillet and cooked well flipping over occasionally. Potatoes are put back into the pan. And here comes the step what makes this chicken dish so special. Add in tomatoes and garlic cloves. Prepare a red sauce in a small bowl using red pepper paste, which you can find at Middle East markets or use tomato paste and spices like chili, black pepper, cumin and dried thyme. Pour it over the chicken and potatoes. Cover the skillet and let the dish absorb all the wonderful flavors. This is such a delectable dish that it will even become your favorite dish of all time! Try it for the nearest holiday and see the result!
Other Chicken Dinners You Might Like
- Oven Roasted Chicken Pieces
- Lemon Garlic Chicken Thighs
- Creamy Mustard Chicken
- Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Baked Chicken And Vegetables In The Oven
Other Chicken And Potato Recipes I’d Love To Try:
- Colombian Chicken Soup on Panning the Globe
- Jamaican Curry Chicken on Immaculate Bites
- Indian Spiced Chicken Stew on Seasons and Suppers
- Greek Chicken with Lemon and Oregano on The Clever Carrot
Chicken and Potatoes with Tomato Sauce
An amazing chicken and potatoes recipe flavored with tomato sauce.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup olive oil to fry
- 2 pounds chicken thighs
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ¾ cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Green onion for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet and fry the potatoes until slightly tender. Don’t fry them completely. Transfer them on a paper towel. Drain the excessive oil.
- Place the chicken thighs in the same skillet. Bring the heat to medium low and cook them covered. Let them release their juice and cook for about 20 minutes until they absorb almost all the juice they released. They will get tender enough in the meantime. Make sure there is still a little juice inside the pan. Flip them over occasionally and let both sides are cooked and browned well.
- Put the half fried potatoes in the skillet. Toss in chopped tomatoes and garlic cloves.
- In a separate bowl, combine pepper paste or tomato paste, lemon juice, hot water, salt and spices. Pour it into the skillet and cook covered until tomatoes and potatoes are completely tender, about 15 minutes. You can add extra hot water if there isn’t any juice left in the skillet.
- Serve hot with a little chopped green onions or other herbs.
Keywords: chicken with tomato sauce