This Ginger Lemonade is the ultimate summer sipper for all family members. Jazzed up with ginger and fresh mint, this homemade lemonade will be your go-to drink at summer gatherings.
This post was originally published in 2009 and we are updating it today with additional information.
Are you complaining about the temperature? Here is a great solution for you: Make a refreshing ginger lemonade, chill it in the fridge for a few hours and you will feel way better once you have the first sip. What’s more, you will start to enjoy this warm weather with a glass of cool lemonade in your hand.
This is an alcohol-free refreshing drink, so you can enjoy it with the whole family. Toddlers LOVE this lemonade as much as our Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream.
How to make ginger lemonade
One of the ingredients that make this drink a unique one is lemon zest, so start with this step. Grate the zest of lemons until you reach their white. Make sure you stop there because the white part under the yellow skin makes your drink bitter.
Squeeze the lemons well. We need one cup of lemon juice for this recipe, so if the given number of lemons is not enough for that, use extra lemons.
Combine lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar and ginger powder in a large jar. I use ginger powder in this recipe just because that was what I had on hand. I’ve made it with fresh ginger too and it tastes as good. You can use the same amount of freshly grated ginger in this mixture.
Pour hot water over this mixture and whisk until the sugar completely dissolves. Cover the jar with its lid and let it sit until it reaches room temperature so that all the flavors blend well.
Chill it in the fridge when it is at room temperature. After 2-3 hours, take it out and strain it into a pitcher. Serve with fresh mint leaves, lemon slices and a few ice cubes.
How long does this ginger lemonade last?
This amazing thirst-quenching drink tastes better when it is fresh, so I’d recommend keeping it in the fridge for one or two days. Don’t worry if you have leftovers, it doesn’t go bad easily and you can keep it up to 4 days.
This will be the best lemonade you’ve tasted. I suggest a large and tall glass for this lemonade. Put some ice cubes in the glass if you like, then place mint leaves on them. Pour some lemonade and put more mint leaves or some nice tiny blossoms on the top. You may also add two thin lemon slices for garnish.
Love lemony treats and want more recipes with lemon that you can enjoy this summer? Here are a few more:
Creamy Lemon Ice Cream – Give Recipe
Honey Lemon Balm Spritzer – She Wears Many Hats
Lemon Blueberry Icebox Cake – A Spicy Perspective
Perfect Strawberry Lemonade – Give Recipe
Raspberry Lemon Drop Martinis – Real House Moms
Strawberry Lemonade Popsicles – Give Recipe
If you have a chance to make this Ginger Lemonade recipe, I’d love to hear your feedback. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below.Print
A perfect summer drink with lemon zest, lemon juice, mint and ginger.
- Prep Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: Turkish
- 1 cup lemon juice (5 lemons)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp ginger powder or freshly grated ginger
- 5 cups hot water
- A few leaves of fresh mint
- ice cubes to serve
- Start with grating the lemon zest. Grate just the yellow part, when you reach its white, stop grating or your lemonade tastes bitter. Then squeeze the lemons, you must get a cup of lemon juice. If the suggested number of lemons is not enough for it, add one or two extra lemons.
- Put the lemon juice and grated lemon zest in a big jar. Add sugar and ginger powder in it. Pour 5 cups hot water and stir until the sugar melts. Cover the jar and let it rest. When it reaches room temperature, chill it in the refrigerator for about 3 hours. Then take it out and transfer it into a pitcher with a strainer. Put a few leaves of mint into it and it is ready to serve.
- Put some ice cubes in a glass. Pour some lemonade and put mint leaves and blossoms on the top. You can also add two very thin lemon slices for garnish.
- Serving Size: 1 glass
- Calories: 370
- Sugar: 34.5g
- Sodium: 270.5mg
- Fat: 14.2g
- Carbohydrates: 49.8g
- Protein: 12.5g
- Cholesterol: 33.2mg
Keywords: lemonade, beverage, drink, ginger, ginger lemonade