I made this Simple Quiche with Leek last weekend. I wanted to make it before leek disappears from market shelves! We’ve already left Winter behind and we’re having the nice start of Spring here, so I guess it was the last time for me to buy leek this year.
Although my favorite dish with leek is Leek with Bulgur, I was so excited to try it in this recipe. It was the first time I made quiche as it is not a typical Turkish dish. So I was so curious about how it would turn out! The word originally comes from French, but I’m not sure if the dish also is from French cuisine, wiki says it could be coming from German cuisine.
Anyway, quiche may not be a traditional Turkish dish, but it’s taken its place in Turkish cookbooks today! As a foodie who is always eager to try new recipes, I felt like I had to give this Simple Quiche with Leek a try! I got the recipe for the crust from mom II (mother-in-law) and the filling is the result of my love of leek.
Leek is one of the vegetables in my husband, Yusuf’s “don’t feel like eating” list, so I’m always in search for making this healthy and tasty –for me Winter vegetable more appealing to him. I know he likes baked dishes and pastries, so I knew he would love this Simple Quiche with Leek.
So you might ask how he found it. He LOVED it! “Is this really leek on it?” he asked!
He was quite biased about leek before eating this quiche, but it took almost no time to eat the whole slice and ask for the second!
I’m so happy that I finally found the right recipe for leek! I mean, the right one for my hubby!
As taking the shots, Yusuf just couldn’t stop himself having bites from the slice!
I used whole wheat flour for this Simple Quiche with Leek, but you might replace it with white one if you like.
Also I used two kinds of cheese in the filling; feta and Izmir tulum. I used kasar cheese for topping. You can use your favorite cheese in it and top with parmesan.
Simple Quiche with Leek
Quiche with leek, scallion and cheese makes a perfect tea time snack!
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 4-6
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 6 tbsp cold water
- 90g butter, cold
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 stalks leek, chopped
- 3 stalks scallion, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup cheese of your choice, crumbled (I used feta and Izmir tulum)
- ¼ bunch of fresh dill, chopped
- ¼ bunch of parsley, chopped
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp milk
- ¼ cup kasar cheese or parmesan, grated for topping
- Mix ingredients for the crust with your hand until combined and you have a soft dough.
- Wait it in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Start preparing the filling.
- Heat olive oil and saute leek and scallion in it until tender. Set it aside.
- When it’s cold, add crumbled cheese and herbs into it.
- Whisk egg and milk in another bowl and add it into filling mixture.
- Preheat oven at 175C.
- Place baking paper in a quiche mold and shape the crust dough in it gently pressing on it with your hands.
- When it takes the shape of your mold, spread the filling mixture on it.
- Bake it for 30 minutes.
- Then take it out and top with grated kasar cheese or parmesan.
- Bake it for another 15 minutes until golden.