Puff pastry is the second popular option to make quick and scrumptious Turkish boreks. The first one is phyllo sheets, which are sold either in supermarkets or in small local shops where they are produced and sold by some talented ladies. Puff pastry is mostly preferred when you want things quicker. You don’t have to get up earlier to make a borek for breakfast, it will be ready after about 20 minutes! So if you want to make a change at breakfast, you can surprise your family with these pockets!
Puff pastry is called milfoy hamuru in Turkish and sold in square shapes in packages at markets. So it’s almost ready to be baked! What you need to do is just preparing the filling and sealing them. They are ready just in less than half an hour! It’s quite easy to make anything with puff pastry.
It’s always a great treat for unexpected guests too, so having some extra puff pastry squares in freezer always works!
Puff pastry borek is quite fluffy and I think it’s better when hot! Since it’s so easy to make, I recommend you to make it right before eating.
I prepared a filling with feta and pastirma, which is a kind of Turkish spicy dried beef. If you can’t find pastirma in your area, chopped sausages work fine too! If you don’t want any meat in your borek, then just skip it. You can combine cheese with herbs too! Or you can just create your own filling with your favorite ingredients.
If you don’t have square shape puff pastry in your area, you can just cut it into squares or use it as is.
I love the combined flavors of cheese and pastirma! My husband thinks that 2 slices are not enough, he is a big fan of this spicy dried meat.
Seal it very well with your fingers so that no filling will ooze out!
You will have to wait just for 20 minutes to enjoy these puff pastry pockets!
Puff Pastry Pockets
Easy puff pastry with cheese and pastirma.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- 6 puff pastry squares, thawed
- 1 egg
- ½ cup feta or your favorite
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 12 slices pastirma (or ¼ cup chopped sausages)
- 1 tbsp nigella seeds and sesame seeds
- Preheat oven at 180C.
- Mix feta, parsley and egg white.
- Put 1tbsp cheese mixture in the middle of squares.
- Place two slices of pastirma on it.
- Fold it in a triangle shape.
- Seal it with your fingers.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Place the pastry pockets on it.
- Whisk egg yolk and brush it on pockets.
- Sprinkle nigella and sesame seeds on it.
- Bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Serving Size: 6