These Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are super moist thanks to kefir and shredded zucchini. They are made with very little brown sugar and olive oil, but so soft and fluffy. Their natural sweetness from banana and the chocolaty flavor make them super decadent.
What is your favorite zucchini recipe? Savory or sweet? I love it in any form, but I guess my favorite way to use it up is to hide it in baked goods as in my latest recipe Moist Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread. You can find several bread recipes like this on the blog. However, I always love the idea of serving individual portions in the form of muffins. That’s how these healthy yet amazingly tasty Chocolate Zucchini Muffins came out.
How are these chocolate zucchini muffins healthy?
Although our readers’ all time favorite zucchini recipe is Yogurt Chocolate Zucchini Bread, I wanted to make a healthier recipe this time. For one thing, I cut down the amount of sugar and used only 1/3 cup, which is way less than in any other muffin recipe. So how did the muffins turn out sweet enough? Thanks to one large ripe banana, you won’t miss a lot of sugar in this recipe.
As for the amount of oil, I used only 2 tablespoons olive oil and no butter at all. Can you imagine how light these muffins are? What we use instead of lots of oil in this recipe is one of my favorite foods: Kefir. It helps the muffins keep soft and moist. Just as it does in my several recipes like Blueberry Peach Coffee Cake.
Finally, these chocolate zucchini muffins are made with whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour and it’s no way noticeable in their taste.
Oh and one more thing that makes these muffins healthy. The best thing too. Lots of shredded zucchini. It gives a wonderful amount of moisture to the muffins. I love those tiny green pieces inside the muffins as well.
How to keep these zucchini chocolate muffins
You can keep them at room temperature on the day you bake them, but I suggest you put them in the fridge if you want to keep them longer. They taste still great up to a week. In an airtight container for sure.
If you are into healthy muffins, check out these great recipes too:
Healthy Chocolate Sweet Potato Avocado Muffins from Paleo Gluten Free Eats
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins from Build Your Bites
If you have a chance to make these Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Muffins, I’d love to hear your feedback. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!Print
Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Muffins. Super moist thanks to shredded zucchini and kefir. Sweetened with little brown sugar and ripe banana. Contains very little olive oil.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Yield: 14 muffins
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup kefir
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, unpeeled and not squeezed
- 1 and ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with liners. Set aside.
- Squeeze shredded zucchini in your hands but don’t try to make them completely dry.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and mashed banana. Add in olive oil and kefir. Mix well. Add in shredded zucchini and mix again.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Gradually add this dry mixture into the wet mixture. Mix just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill the ¾ of the prepared liners with the batter and bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean.
- Optionally, you can place extra chocolate chips on top of each when they are still hot.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 127
- Sugar: 9.5g
- Sodium: 147.2mg
- Fat: 5.8g
- Carbohydrates: 18.3g
- Protein: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 27.7mg
Keywords: zucchini muffins, chocolate zucchini muffins, kefir, healthy muffins