This is such a wonderful homemade chocolate ice cream that nobody can notice it’s homemade unless they are told. This is my second ice cream try with my new ice cream maker and I’m absolutely very proud of the result.
This is, without doubt, one of the best chocolate ice creams I’ve ever eaten! And it’s homemade. And I made it! Well, with the help of my new toy. I think I’ve found my ultimate Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream recipe thanks to The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments by David Lebovitz.
This Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream is smooth, creamy and full of chocolate flavor. It’s like a yummy chocolate in the form of ice cream. I knew that it would result in a perfect chocolate ice cream even before I put it in the freezer. The smell of it was so tempting that I couldn’t wait any longer and dipped my finger into it. I would just taste and then put it in the freezer, but I had to let hubby and mom taste it too. We had an irresistible feeling of eating more, but I was able to snatch the ice cream container and almost locked it in the freezer!
If there is a chocolate monster inside you, this homemade chocolate ice cream will make it more than happy. You will find an extremely intense chocolate flavor in it, so high quality chocolate is recommended for t is recipe. Hubby and I love 70% bittersweet chocolate, so I used it in this ice cream and it added an extra richness to the ice cream. But mom says it would be better with semisweet chocolate. It’s up to you, or the monster inside you, to decide on the type of chocolate.
The best part of making ice cream at home is that you decide what flavors to combine and you can control the amount of sweetness to your taste. You can create numerous types of ice cream with your favorite ingredients!
My first ice cream was Eggless Strawberry Ice Cream, the recipe of which I found in the manual of my ice cream maker. As its name suggests, it doesn’t contain egg yolks and it was way simpler as you just mix whipping cream with sugar and strawberries. This homemade chocolate ice cream might sound more complicated, but it’s not as long as you follow the steps. Believe me it’s worth all the effort for this super smooth chocolate ice cream.
Don’t have an ice cream maker? You can find how to make this amazing homemade chocolate ice cream without an ice cream maker in the notes part below the recipe.
More Ice Cream Recipes
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!Print
Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
A super rich, smooth and creamy chocolate ice cream you can make at home. See instructions to make it both with an ice cream maker and without it.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: About 1 quart 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 160g bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate sauce and chips for topping
- Mix 1 cup of the cream with cocoa powder in a saucepan and warm it. Keep whisking it until the cocoa is completely blended.
- Bring to a boil and let it simmer at the lowest heat for 30 seonds, whisking constantly.
- Remove from the heat and add in the chopped chocolate. Stir until smooth.
- Stir in the remaining 1 cup cream and pour it into a bowl. Set it aside.
- For the custard; warm the milk, sugar and salt in the same saucepan.
- Whisk egg yolks in a medium bowl and slowly pour the warm milk into it, whisking constantly.
- Transfer it back into the saucepan.
- Stir this mixture constantly over the medium heat until it thickens and coats the spatula.
- Add this custard into the chocolate mixture using a mesh strainer. Stir until smooth.
- Then stir in the vanila.
- Put the bowl into a larger container full of very cold water and cool it completely, stirring constantly.
- Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Take it into an airtight container.
- Wait it in the freezer at least 5 hours.
- Top with chocolate sauce and chips when serving.
The freezing duration is not included.
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can use the following method:
Prepare the ice cream mixture following the instructions above. Pour the ice cream mixture into a large and shallow container. If it’s steel, it’s better because your ice cream freezes better and faster in it. Chill it in the refrigerator for about 8 hours. Then put it in the freezer. Wait it there for 30 minutes.
Take it out and whisk constantly with a fork for 2-3 minutes. Scrape the ice crrystals you see around the top of the container and stir in the mixture and keep whisking. Put it back into the freezer. Repeat this for 4 times.
Transfer the mixture in an airtight container and freeze for 5 hours.
- Serving Size: 1 quart
- Calories: 2595
- Sugar: 261.6 g
- Sodium: 2538.7 mg
- Fat: 157.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 284.2 g
- Protein: 42.9 g
- Cholesterol: 1198.4 mg
Keywords: homemade chocolate ice cream