Pasta is for all seasons. It is for all people and for all occasions. The choices are endless when you are cooking pasta. You can create a unique pasta recipe whenever you make it with the ingredients you like. You want to eat lighter foods when it warms up, don’t you? This Summer Pasta with tomatoes and peas is a wonderful option.
I used fresh peas in this summer pasta and I recommend you to do the same. Fresh peas are definitely sweeter and tastier than the pickled or frozen ones. So when it’s in season, use them as much as you can.
Another ingredient I used is cherry tomatoes that are one of the best summer messengers. You can see how lovely this summer pasta looks with the color combination of red and green. I would use Homemade Tomato Paste if we were in winter, but I love to use fresh cherry tomatoes for this summer pasta to welcome the season.
Fresh peas jump into boiling water. They swim in it for 5-10 minutes and then they realize how hot it is and they immediately jump into a large bowl full of very cold water to feel refreshed. That’s how our little peas cool down. Would you like to take some little pals when going to beach this summer?
You will see how they become very lovely green after this swimming and cooling process. You can’t see the same color in pickled peas.
Cherry tomatoes are sauteed in a separate skillet. I slice some of them in halves and just draw a line on some of them with a knife. You will love to hear their sizzling.
Cooked pasta and boiled peas are tossed into the same skillet and combined well and your summer lunch or dinner is ready. This can be enjoyed warm or cold, which is a great thing about it. You can definitely add some herbs like mint or parsley and make it more springy.
More Vegetarian Pasta Recipes
As always: If you make this recipe, let us know what you think by rating it and leaving a comment below. And post a pic on Instagram too—tag @give_recipe so we can see!
Summer Pasta with Tomatoes and Peas
Healthy and tasty summer pasta with fresh peas and cherry tomatoes. Serve it warm or cold as a pasta salad.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 10 oz pasta of your choice
- ½ teaspoon salt for boiling pasta
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Boil water in a large skillet, sprinkle ½ teaspoon salt and toss in pasta. Drop 1 tablespoon olive oil in it and cook for 7 minutes. Drain, leaving about ¼ cup of the water.
- Boil water in the same skillet for peas this time. Drop the peas in the boiling water and cook until tender but still a bit firm, for about 5-10 minutes. Drain and transfer into very cold water. Drain, set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the halved cherry tomatoes, put a lid on the skillet and let the tomatoes get a little tender for about 5 minutes stirring a few times.
- Season it with salt and black pepper.
- Toss in pasta, peas and ¼ cup water in which you cook pasta. Stir and take it from heat.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 386
- Sugar: 4.5 g
- Sodium: 478.4 mg
- Fat: 11.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 59 g
- Protein: 11.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: pasta with peas and tomatoes, tomato pea pasta