Have you ever eaten a cake and felt like you’re eating ice cream? You will feel so when you try this Lemon Poppy Seed Cake! You might realize that I’ve been posting refreshing treats since the beginning of April. It’s not because we’re having summery weather here. I just think that spring itself means refreshment and we don’t have to wait till summer to enjoy ice cream, popsicles or other fresh foods. Refreshing foods don’t have to be frozen though, even a cake could be suitable for warm weathers with the right ingredient. This lemon poppy seed cake is one of these cakes with its remarkable zesty flavor.
I made this cake for mom and she said it’s like a lemon ice cream cake. Her favorite summer treat is lemon ice cream, so she was very satisfied with my lemon cake, which she thinks contains a hidden ice cream inside. I must learn how to make lemon ice cream soon to make mom even happier. If you know a good recipe for it, please share it in the comments section.
This lemony yogurt cake is tasty year-round, but we love it more when the weather starts to warm up. The yogurt inside helps the lemon cake become wonderfully moist, and the refreshing lemon flavor matches perfectly with it, which gives the ice cream feeling. It’s perfect for special occasions too!
This lemon poppy seed cake doesn’t contain any butter. I used just 1/3 cup olive oil and it has just eggs, so it wouldn’t be wrong to say that this cake is a healthy one.
For the topping, you can prefer the easiest way just like I did and go with powdered sugar and freshly grated lemon zest. I always grate lemon zest right before serving to impress my guests with its intoxicating fragrance. Optionally, you can prepare lemon jam and top your cake with it just like my Lemon Cake topped with Lemon Jam.
An ice cream like lemon cake. So moist and full of lemon flavor!
10 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup full-fat yogurt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla powder or extract
- 5 teaspoons poppy seeds
- For topping:
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 taspoon grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Beat eggs and sugar very well until creamy.
- Add in yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice and grated zest, beat until blended.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and vaniila powder and gradually combine these with wet ingredients beating together until well combined.
- Fold in poppy seeds.
- Brush a cake pan with melted butter and pour the batter into it.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.